Is it a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenJill, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    My 4 chickens are 18 weeks old and I started getting eggs yesterday! But one of my chickens is kind of noisy and a little agressive (likes to run up and peck me). At what age do they start to crow or is there any other thing I should be looking for to identify if it is a rooster or hen?

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

post a pic people on here love to tell you which it is.........also my roosters were all crowing by 14 weeks.....except for my EE roo he hasn't crowed yet....mine are 17 weeks now

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  3. BYC_In_Long_Beach

BYC_In_Long_Beach Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Post a picture so we can give you a good answer. Judging by what you said, it seems to be a rooster.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Jill-

I'm wondering what breed of chickens you have....I think some breeds mature faster than others. Silkies, for example, are very hard to sex....at least they are for me! Now, that agressive behavior you're seeing could be male or female. There are hens that, when they're at the top of the pecking order, will be agressive like a rooster. Some of the things to look for on a young chicken that may indicate it's a male are those longer tail feathers, and longer hackle feathers (neck feathers), bigger combs and wattles (or is it waddles), and of course crowing. Also, a rooster will have a heavier body and thicker looking legs too sometimes.

Hope this helps! Lots of people put pics up if they're not sure, and then members help guess......

5. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    rooster usually crow long before hens lay. i suspect you would know if it was a rooster by now

6. ChickenJill

Aug 14, 2010
    I uploaded 2 pictures but I dont know how to attach them to this message..... If you can see the pics, the white chicken on the right is the one I am not sure of. Does anyone know what kind of chicken this is also?

7. ChickenJill

Aug 14, 2010
    It is the white one on the right that is the noisy and agressive one. Also what breed is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    Looks like a Columbian Wyandotte hen to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by