1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it a rooster?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TheBigOne, Nov 11, 2013.

1. TheBigOne

TheBigOne New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    [​IMG]
    So, what's your opinion? Is my rhode island red a rooster? He/she is 15 weeks old. No crowing yet but the feather patterns make me suspect. Just wanted some ideas before I reluctantly have to take him back or find him a new home.

2. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Im not up on RIRs but it does look like its getting sickle tail feathers...conb is pretty bigI dont see a saddle or neck hackles not sure if all breed roos get them.I would guess it is a roo by its build tail and conb

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yap, a rooster that is, I made a mistake two month's ago, thought I bought two hen's, they turned out to be two roosters, they were very big, nearly no comb or sickle feathers. If I say big, I mean big, much bigger then a full adult barred rock, and the spur's on their feet were very small. It made me feel duh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by