1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it a WHOLE-NUTHER BALLGAME when you add real eggs to a new bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigoledude, Mar 9, 2011.

1. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Suppose I finish the "build" portion my incubator and, I tweak and adjust temperatures and humidity until I have it lined out perfectly. Then, after a week of maintaining good control, I ADD EGGS! I know for a little while there could be some flucuations until everything lines back out.

Or, will the effect of adding eggs change the environment inside the incubator so drastically that I will have to start making major adjustments all over again? Is there something I could do to best simulate the same effect eggs would have inside the incubator?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Tweak your bator to get the temps/humidity stable without the eggs. Always when adding the eggs the temps and humidity levels will go down but should rise back to the correct temps within hours or a day.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Things WILL change when you set the eggs. Wait 24 hours to futz with things, though. By then the eggs will have reached 'bator temp, and if it's too high or two low, you can make changes then. If you start to adjust things before the eggs are stabilized, you will be tweaking things all the time and get very frustrated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by