is it almost time???

maxxsmommy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Minnesota
I have 3 ducks 1 female and 2 males... (dont bother telling me that that is a bad ratio.. i already know this) but she is letting the "alpha" male mate with her constatntly! Its kinda cute she starts bobbing her head and he does it back at her and then grabs ahold of her and does his deed... Does that mean i will be getting eggs soon?? she is about 23 or 24 weeks old now.. Welsh Harlequin is the breed

ok... no answers yet... so with what was said in the orignal post ... how can you tell when they will start laying? Is there any signs?????

Well, my little mallard hen started laying about a week after she started the whole head bobbing courtship thing. I'd say she's pretty close, just keep an eye out there for any eggs, they are awesome at hiding them
wink.png

they have done the whole bobbing their heads for months now! but today was the first time i actually seen him mount her.

If you know this is not a great ratio, then why are you allowing it? IMO that seems mean and not very responsible. I am sorry if this seems harsh, but please, think of your duck. It is not cute if she is exhausted by overbreeding or worse than that, killed by it.
he.gif

Quote:
because she is not getting hurt by any of them, they are so close its not even funny, they have never been mean to her and they are very gentle with her, they wont mate with her unless she wants to. If i see problems i will correct it. But until then i am not gonna give up my pets.

Back
Top Bottom