Is it Angel Wing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lach Cnoc Farm, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    My little girl Kahlua has developed a 'droopy' wing, i assume bcause her big feathers are coming in rather quickly. is this angel wing? i have never had a duck with angel wing before so i figured id make sure.

if it is, i have seen that some people on here tape them up, how long does her wing need to be 'supported' before it will be corrected?

i had her taped for a few days and it improved but then began to droop again.

2. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    It sounds like it. Can you post a picture?

3. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    i will get a picture up in the morning. they hardly get feed, they are pretty much, almost free range only, the food is more of a treat. so im a little lost as to why it happened, hopefully it's fixable though.

will have a pic up in the morning. thanks.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sometimes it is genetic...but diet is also a prime suspect. A photo will really help.

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Is there any place that shows how to wrap angel wing? I believe one of my 3 month sebbie goslings has it and I want to wrap it right away. Thanks so much!!!

6. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    I lot of time Sebbie wings droop because of the blood flow into the feathers for development. It usually clears up.

7. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    Kahlua's wing only drops a little, the 2nd pic is more extreme looking though...i ws holding her and she was all comfy...i do think it's just getting too heavy for her muscles though....or something like that..i dunno..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I dont know if its bad or what but it looks cool! LOL

Chicken Girl

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That doesn't look like angel wing. Angel wing looks like this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Lách Cnoc Farm :

Kahlua's wing only drops a little, the 2nd pic is more extreme looking though...i ws holding her and she was all comfy...i do think it's just getting too heavy for her muscles though....or something like that..i dunno..

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_4TI8K-sT5-Q/SjaTnA3qukI/AAAAAAAAA5A/78sicvS4dYY/s400/100_3024.JPG
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_4TI8K-sT5-Q/SjaTnNAxO0I/AAAAAAAAA5E/i-pF3704UO0/s512/100_3019.JPG

Does her wings stay down like that or does she just get lazy & drop them down.

My guess is no she does not have it because it should be hanging out from her body some also. But if she does keep them dropped all it maybe the start of angel wing. If she isn't on feed it might be not enough nutrition. To help build mussels. In the wild birds find fields the eat corn & other things they don't have at the house which are high in protein & starch which are what is said to cause angle wing. It sounds a little confusing but I don't believe protein causes angel wing. My ducks eat a high protein diet with my chickens which was 24 - 28% for the first 8 weeks & now 19% with some bread that they jump in & still from the chickens. If I was to guess what caused angel wing from reading other peoples studies & not doing my own I would have to say it is to much carbohydrates without the other nutrition they need. My birds eat sweet feed from time to time also so I don't think it is from to much sugar. Yest may have something to do with it.

I have had several BYCers which I'm thankful for warn me of the high protein but I don't see a problem with it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: