Ametrina

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
We have a Youth Market Turkey Show next week and our show bird displayed this black spot on the head, Could someone help ID it?
20230927_181719.jpg

I have not dealt w avain pox, but I do know turkeys and have seen very similar spots on snoods from them stuffing their beaks into the fencing- even the plastic “safety” fencing and / or 1/2” hardware cloth like you show in the photo.

- I’d go w a warm compress for as much time as he will tolerate it
(I’d just use warm water and a paper towel.... but Epsom salts added to the water won’t hurt?)
- I would also spray some Vetricyn onto a cotton ball or smaller folded up piece of paper towel, and dab it onto the spot after the “soak”.
- add some triple antibiotic (no pain killer) to the spot
— is he solo in his pen?
— can he see other boys through any of the fenced off areas? If so, I’d def set up a visual block ASAP, esp if he’s got an upcoming show.

IF he did it from being stressed.... that can happen as well.
The stress related issues typically happen from being in too small an area for them (bullying), fence fighting w other Toms, predators nearby (most often injuries on the fencing from trying to escape), or Toms seeing other females and wanting to reach them
:/

Any more info about your set up (coop, run dimensions, other birds, esp neighbors on the fences, etc) will also allow us to be more helpful.

If I’m wrong, I’m sure @R2elk, @Miss Lydia, or @Molpet
Will correct me - or tag someone else in! 💕

Last edited:
Seen this on my hen turkey. I believe it’s fowl pox but wanted y’all’s opinion too.
IMG_0528.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom