Is it best to separate Easter Eggers from the rest of the flock?

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Do you find that Easter Eggers are much more gentle and usually at the bottom of the pecking order because they are so gentle? Is it just my flock where I notice this?

Is it a good idea to keep them separate from other tough hens or do you all mix them right in with the flock?

Thanks!

Mine are in with my mixed flock, they kind of keep to themselves though
hmm.png

Mine are in a mixed flock too and the youngest but I haven't noticed any problems. All my hens get along really well and the pecking order seems to change daily!

all of my EE's have always been the ones that push others around. every flock is going to be different.
they have to work out a peck order, which can get more intense as the chickens get close to laying age.

I have two EE's and ones at the bottom of the pecking order, and the other is usually at the top! I must say that the one at the bottom seems to be the most intelligent... maybe they're all jealous!

Mine like to hang out with my bantams. The rest of my standards hang out in a group and my japanese bantams hang out in a group. The EE follow the jap roo. I haven't noticed any problems between them and the other standards but they prefer to be the top hens in the bantam flock instead of near the bottom of the standard flock.

Mine are right in the mix in my flock of 12 hens and 1 roo. They might have been at the bottom of the pecking order when they were younger but they all get along fine now.

Oh that is really interesting. So there is a real mix of personalities I guess. Mine are so timid and gentle I thought it may be the breed.

Don't laugh but someone told me that Martha Stewart separates her EE in a separate pen so it got me thinking that "maybe they should be separated".

Another thing is when free ranging do all breeds get along better because they are busy foraging where maybe mine get picked on because they are cooped up at the moment.

Could be. Mine free range when there's no snow on the ground but choose to stay in the coop when there is. Everyone has gotten along so far this winter. They do have a spacious coop though, so that may help.

Back
Top Bottom