Is it better for newbie to hatch eggs or buy chicks?

I am a complete newbie in the chicken thing also. I initially planned to buy the chicks for my 3 year old, but then after many hours reading BYC pages, I decided to start from the eggs. I think it is more educational for her and more fun for me to do it this way. True it is more stressful with incubating but it is also very rewarding when you see the results. I got my eggs from a local guy who sells $5 a dozen so it could be cheaper for me to start with the eggs, plus no trauma with the shipping. I am on day 10 of the 1st hatch, just removed 6 eggs (out of 18) this morning, probably infertile or very early quitter. I am not sad about those since it may not have any thing to do with the incubation anyway. I showed my daughter and my nephew the eggs while candling yesterday, she started dancing along with the embryos, they were so happy. So far it is much more rewarding for me than I thought, and I wont go with any other way. However, there is no right or wrong either way with your decision.

Since you are concerned for your 3 children and may not want a rooster, I would just get sexed pullets.
Don't be tempted into getting to many to start off with.

Whatever you decide on I wish you lots of luck and I hope you and your family enjoy the new babies.
smile.png

I found someone locally that has eggs from bantam rooster/araucana silkie bantam cross rooster and bantam/bantam mixed/araucana/full sized hens. Not sure if they would be gentile birds or not. He claims they are but is that a stretch? On the upside he only wants $3.00 a dozen
smile.png

You know, I think with roosters you never know if they will be gentle or not. The rooster that did the most damage to me personally was a speckled fluffy Cochin Bantie.

They are known for not being mean, but again, with roosters you never know.

So far, my Welsummer roo is a good guy.

Catherine

I am new to hatching eggs myself and this Friday we are picking up a dozen eggs of Black Australorps and a dozen of Silver-Laced Wyandottes. My DH is already wanting to do more, but we need to have some discipline...right...RIGHT?!!!!!
roll.png

I don't have my eggs and I am already getting overly excited and nervous
smile.png
AHHHHHH!

I decided to hatch 8 eggs as a science experiment. I made sure I had someone to take all the chicks after they hatched because I didn't want any trouble with the neighbors and HOA. My 3 kids (9,3,2) absolutely loved this experiment. They turned the eggs every 8 hours for 24 days. Hatching day was like Christmas. 5 hatched, 4 survived and are still with us after 8 weeks. We all love them and canceled our original plans. Instead we are talking about getting 2 more hens (2 of our babies are rooster which just won't fly with our neighbors). Eggs or chicks... We will see what is available when it's time. But I agree: hatching is great!

Back
Top Bottom