Is it better to apron a run or to bury the fencing?

andythescot

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Central Mass
Hi all!
Sometime soon I'll be reconstructing my run (and coop as well I suppose!) and I'm wondering if it is better to prevent predators from digging under by skirting the run with hardware cloth or by digging a trench so the hardware cloth goes into the ground. Which is more popular?

I think both methods work, I personally buried my fencing because I don't like the look of the wire curtain, but I know that the curtain is also very effective for preventing dig ins.

I have an apron in a trench.
gig.gif
Really.

i like to have an apron that is continued up the side of the fencing a little bit. that way, it not only prevents dig-ins, but also prevents tiny chicks from getting out, and prevents raccoons etc from reaching in (at least, as easily).
smile.png

Unless you just enjoy digging, it's just as effective to lay it on the surface and put an inch or two of dirt over it so grass can anchor it in place.

If you bury it 12 inches, that's how deep a predator will dig before giving up.

If it's down 1 inch, they will stop there

It's your choice

We did a 14-18 inch apron spreading out on the ground all around. With a 35 foot long run, I couldn't fathom the thought of digging a trench all around (!!!). We then also bought those huge 12 inch long nail spikes at the hardware store that are as thick as a finger with very large washers that fit them and I drove them through the hardwire cloth on the ground with a hammer to act like stakes to pin the apron down. There is little chance (I hope) that a critter could lift that up (heck, I couldn't even pull them back out of the ground!).

I then mulched the apron all around the coop about two inches so that it would look nice and you couldn't see the wire all around. It looks great and you would never know there is an apron there, and I didn't have to go through the effort of digging.

Quote:
This is the best reply. I'm not sure why anyone would want to bury the skirt any deeper than necessary. You could just lay it on the ground and let grass/weeds grow up through it.

Quote:
This is the best reply. I'm not sure why anyone would want to bury the skirt any deeper than necessary. You could just lay it on the ground and let grass/weeds grow up through it.

I built my coop this winter layed the apron down & anchored it to the ground. Spring has arrived & the apron has disappeared. It is now covered with grass. Done deal. I hate digging.
63768_peepers_005.jpg

Last edited:
Yeap. YOu really need to go down 18" of burial to keep out dogs and coyotes (and note that if you have a "professional" red fox in your area, who's USED to digging under fences to raid chicken flocks, even that is not necessarily going to be enough) and that is just too darn much WORK in most soils.

An apron works as well *assuming you do it right*, for far less work. So, no-brainer to me
smile.png

(* - do it right involves making the apron at least 2' wide, wider if you have known things-digging-in problems; secure it very well to the foot of the run fence; turn the free edge down a bit so it isn't obvious; and either pin it down well til the turf "consumes" it, or cover it with your choice of material)

Very large concrete pavers, like at least 18x24", make a pretty good apron too btw, although if you have serious rodent problems it is probably a *little* more of a risk for having rodents set up home under there.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom