renthehen

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
So periwinkle has something going on with her foot and as far as I can find, I haven’t seen any cases of bumblefoot that look like hers.

Two of her toes are like short and fat with a hard black scab on the tips. We are about to suit up for surgery unless anyone thinks it could be something other than bumble.

Just for a little history, a few months back she started walking weird. It was almost like what it would look like if she was trying to peddle a bike if you can picture it. Like, she’d pick her foot up real high and dramatic like and then swing it forward to step. She recovered from that and now this. Don’t know if they’re related but it may be pertinent.

I can provide more photos if necessary. The picture is of her feet submerged in the sink.
IMG_7012.jpeg

I do not really see signs of bumblefoot? Could it be the loss of toenails might be hurting her? Maybe a few more pictures and the underside of her toes.

It looks like Periwinkle does not have all of her toenails. Could this be causing her sensitivity. Maybe there should be some further pictures. Especially the underside of her feet. I would expect the underside of the feet may be where, if, the bumble foot.
And could you confirm if she has lost some toenails.
Thanks for replying! Yes, she has lost her toenails on the effected toes. I kind of thought that was a result of the infection. The reason I thought maybe bumblefoot is the state of this scab on bottom of toes. I’ll get some more pics now.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oh dear that does look painful. It looks like she may have an infection in some of the toes. I am not completely positive about bumblefoot and you are right there to operate on her.

It does look painful. She seems fine until I tried to squeeze it. Then she was like “owwww!”

I looked and looked and I hadn’t seen a case of bumblefoot that looked like this but it does resemble the “black scab” of that infection.

Alright well, I guess we will do surgery and just follow the steps for bumblefoot extraction. We got scalpels, iodine and all of the other first aid things. If you have any suggestions particularly from experience, I would love to hear it! 😅

Where are you located in the world?

Looks like she's suffered Frostbite and this is the end of the healing process. I would be extremely hesitant to do any type of surgery on those feet.

I'd instead give them a soaking and keep her on clean dry bedding.

Read this article and here's the thread that resulted in the article being made. While your hen's loss is not as severe, the loss of the tips of the toes and the discoloration of the toes tells a lot.
At least look at photos of Frostbitten toes/feet before you attempt to do any type of surgery.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/matilda-is-going-to-lose-her-feet.1454933/

https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Back
Top Bottom