Is it Coccidiosis?

Inharmony

Songster
11 Years
Jul 14, 2011
I just picked up some new chicks and found this. Is it normal or should I treat for Coccidiosis? It's more goopy than bloody.

Attachments

• 20220528_150223.jpg
    20220528_150223.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 15
That is blood, not intestinal shed which is more oragy red and normal on occasion. How old are the chicks? If they are juveniles, I would get some Corid (amprollium) and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Are any chicks showing signs of lethargy, puffing up/hunched posture, or not eating?

That is blood, not intestinal shed which is more oragy red and normal on occasion. How old are the chicks? If they are juveniles, I would get some Corid (amprollium) and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Are any chicks showing signs of lethargy, puffing up/hunched posture, or not eating?
I just got them today. I haven't had them long enough to observe as they were stressed I assume they will be less active. I will treat just in case. Thanks!

The chicks are between 2-3 weeks old. Also do I stop the medicated feed? It's all I have right now.

No that is not necessary. Medicated feed has a very small amount of amprollium, not enough to make much difference. Hopefully, you won’t see more blood in the poop. I usually place a piece of sod in my brooder for chicks to peck and gradually become exposed to the coccidia in the soil. They build up tolerance to it gradually. The most common age for coccidiosis is between 3-6 weeks, unless they are very rundown or sickly as older birds.

No that is not necessary. Medicated feed has a very small amount of amprollium, not enough to make much difference. Hopefully, you won’t see more blood in the poop. I usually place a piece of sod in my brooder for chicks to peck and gradually become exposed to the coccidia in the soil. They build up tolerance to it gradually. The most common age for coccidiosis is between 3-6 weeks, unless they are very rundown or sickly as older birds.
Smart idea with the sod! Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom