Is it cruel to free range 4 out of 8 chickens

kie4

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Malvern, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

I was searching for this question on the internet but couldn't find it.
In order to put less stress on the foliage in the garden, is it okay to free range 4 out of 8 chickens in the AM, then the other 4 in the PM?

Or will the 4 in the run shout all morning because they've been left out?

Currently I have 4 chickens that are out and about all day, but you know, there "might" be more on their way due to "chicken addiction"

Chickens do not enjoy being separated from their flock. Just let them all out together. Fence off anything you don't want them destroying. If you've got enough property and enough variety, they shouldn't cause much of a problem.

No, it's not cruel.

Will they fuss and carry on? Quite likely. Will it hurt them at all? Not in the slightest.

You are the human, you decide who goes where, when. Just cause they don't like it doesn't mean they get to call the shots.

No, it's not cruel.

Will they fuss and carry on? Quite likely. Will it hurt them at all? Not in the slightest.

You are the human, you decide who goes where, when. Just cause they don't like it doesn't mean they get to call the shots.
Good point @donrae . When we get to 8 in the coop/run I'll give it a go. And if they start hurling themselves at the harware cloth and squalking for a long period of time then I'll let them all into the garden.

Chickens do not enjoy being separated from their flock. Just let them all out together. Fence off anything you don't want them destroying. If you've got enough property and enough variety, they shouldn't cause much of a problem.
This^^^^

Four will do no more or less damage than eight.....
Well, potentially 8 will do twice the damage that 4 will.

Four will do no more or less damage than eight.....I free range twice a day...This is what 11 have done....Not much.....

Cheers!
Hi @chickens really , I really like your set-up. Do your chickens jump that low fence? I'm considering making an extended run that's only 4ft high. I know my chickens could fly over 4ft if they tried, but do they mostly just hang out inside the string fence if they are content?

Or do you clip their feathers?

This^^^^

Well, potentially 8 will do twice the damage that 4 will.
Hi @aart , we have the space. I'll let them all free range together. If there's a lot of damage I'll fence off or reduce ranging time. I really need to get around to fencing off our tomatoes, they're taking a beating!

Back
Top Bottom