Is it easier for smaller breeds to clear 6 feet fence?

psycache

Chirping
Dec 11, 2016
Salt Lake City, Utah
I live in a somewhat urban township, with reasonable sized backyard. I like to free range chickens sometimes during the day while I hang out in the yard.
I would consider clipping one side of birds as some people suggest here.

However, I am just just wondering if smaller birds like Lakenvelder or Dominque are more likely to clear a standard 6' fence? Law of gravity, you know.

Yes, heavier breeds are more governed by the law of gravity than young chickens and smaller, lighter breeds.

Chickens are less likely to soar over a fence of any height if they are unable to find a landing perch on the top. Chickens, unless they are American Games which are capable of actual flight, don't fly over a fence without landing on the top first. As long as you rig something along the top to discourage landing, such as a flimsy wire, they will find it less attractive to try going over.

Another thing that helps is if they are blocked from seeing what awaits them on the other side. Chickens are reluctant to go where they don't know what could be lurking to eat them.

Yes, heavier breeds are more governed by the law of gravity than young chickens and smaller, lighter breeds.

Chickens are less likely to soar over a fence of any height if they are unable to find a landing perch on the top. Chickens, unless they are American Games which are capable of actual flight, don't fly over a fence without landing on the top first. As long as you rig something along the top to discourage landing, such as a flimsy wire, they will find it less attractive to try going over.

Another thing that helps is if they are blocked from seeing what awaits them on the other side. Chickens are reluctant to go where they don't know what could be lurking to eat them.
Good advice. I will give the wire idea a try. My fences are all covered, so that should discourage them.

Chickens, unless they are American Games which are capable of actual flight, don't fly over a fence without landing on the top first.

Most chickens.

My California White, who is the lightest, most agile, and most adventurous member of my flock can and does routinely fly over 48" poultry netting without landing on top (I swear she's half helicopter).

"Half helicopter" is that a breed? :gig

My pullets achieve low level flight from four to ten feet above the ground. We are on a slope so the chickens love to get a running start from uphill, take flight heading downhill, and that achieves even more loft, sometimes as much as fifteen feet above ground level. Also, it's does seem to be mandatory to emit very loud screeching as sound effects to accompany the thrill of the flight.

"Half helicopter" is that a breed? :gig

My pullets achieve low level flight from four to ten feet above the ground. We are on a slope so the chickens love to get a running start from uphill, take flight heading downhill, and that achieves even more loft, sometimes as much as fifteen feet above ground level. Also, it's does seem to be mandatory to emit very loud screeching as sound effects to accompany the thrill of the flight.

I love Chipotle because she's so entertaining, but I would not want a whole flock like her.

What's hilarious is the Brahma trying to fly. She can attain the impressive height of 18" for a good 10 feet with a furious and determined flapping of wings if she suspects that she might miss some really GOOD kitchen scraps being delivered at the other end of the pen from where she is.

Back
Top Bottom