Is it even worth to keep them as pets?

KrissyroxNJ

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
I rescued 4 chukar partridges from a meat market in January. I had no clue what sex they were. One flew away ... the other three were doing quite well together and I figured I would know if I had boys or girls if there was eggs .... well I go to give them food and find my one partridge scalped by the other .... I got him medicine and took him away from the others hoping he would make a full recovery... he died two days after his injuries .... I wish I had known if they were all boys and or girls !! I’m devastated cannot believe he killed the other bird! Are they even worth having as a pet ? I now know I have a pair and they are a boy and girl....

Worth keeping as pets is a decision only you can make. The reality among many bird species is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they don't all live in HARMONY,,, and sing bird Kum Ba Ya.
Pigeons will scalp other pigeons. You already know what Roosters will do to each other. Even hens can get vicious towards other less dominant hens.
In most cases, hens are docile and will live well with other hens.
Since you think you have a pair,,,,,, they should live together well.
If you wanted to keep multiples of birds, you would need to provide LARGE HOUSING AREAS, or individual cages to separate them. The birds as well as most other animals do get territorial.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

If I had a male and female breeding pair, I'd probably raise them to be a bit older and then sell them together for a decent price. From what I understand game fowl are generally terrible pets, or at least no better of a pet than most wild animals would be. I've thought about keeping pheasants just for the visual interest but I don't want to deal with their exacting requirements so I have avoided them up to this point.

Back
Top Bottom