Is it fair to call them free range?

Yes I agree about the foraging. My yard never has any pesticide/herbicides and has a variety of grasses, weeds, vines, bushes, shrubs, bugs, worms, toads, lizards, snakes. Even though grass will improve egg color and content free-range should improve their overall variety and diet but again that's just me and I'm not a regulating body who passes out labels for money. How many eggs are you selling and to whom? I have my flock for me and have more than I need but I don't want to down size now. Especially since the few extra are actually paying for the expensive organic, non-GMO corn, no soy feed
smile.png

As a consumer of goods I'd much rather know where something is made and how is it made and what it is made out of than people pre-labeling the product. Unless they want to take my standards and give it the Kiz label.

I like organic but I also don't mind if pesticide is used on a very limited necessary basis. I personally don't use pesticides but I can understand farmers who do to help their crop. I don't however like the idea of some of the pesticides being used or the spraying of entire fields when not necessary and that then goes in to when is it necessary. As a consumer I'd rather by local grown produce with limited pesticide or herbicide, second USA grown, and so on.

Point is I agree with don't label; explain. Once you have a few loyal customers you won't be explain again. I have a little email I send out that explains my practices.

Last edited:
I agree, I think disclosure is key. I only sell my eggs out of my own home, which means anyone who buys them from me can see where and how they are raised- they have a 30x25 enclosure, and they are let out of that on most days from about noon until dusk. I don't think having a fence negates free range- I couldn't NOT have a fence because if there is a threat I want the option to NOT keep them cooped up inside, and I like the fact that if we go on vacation or if I'm gone most of the day they can be outside and I don't have to worry much about them. And you are allowing them to be outside of their enclosure for most of the day, regardless of how they get out. But as I said, disclosure is the key moral issue here- if your egg customers are buying your eggs elsewhere, then have pictures of your chickens both inside and outside of their enclosure displayed (if allowed) or at least a description. The problem most people have (including me) with the USDA definition of free range is that it is very misleading to the public. As it states they only have to have access to outside. There is no minimum amount of time listed or minimum amount of space per bird, and it doesn't even have to be onto grass or dirt- many only have access to a paved area. And I've heard it said that many producers purposely make the pop doors too small to discourage chickens from going out (I can't imagine why they would do this, but I've heard it). Most of the American public either doesn't know this or chooses to look the other way. But if you do buy eggs (I know most of us here don't, but some might need to over the winter or are still waiting for theirs to start laying) or if you have interested friends, check this resource out: The Cornucopia Report on Organic Eggs It rates organic eggs based on a bunch of criteria, like access to outside, true free ranging, etc... and you can see the score cards to see exactly why they are rated the way they are. Thanks to them I was able to find a local producer who TRULY free ranges (no fences at all) their eggs (before I had my own, of course.)

We don't have an actual chicken run per se and our fence is only 4' tall around our property. Many times the mass majority of our flock will hop the fence or we'll leave the gate open for them if we're out there working beyond the fence to let them forage on the rest of the acreage. To me, that's free ranging as we don't actually control where they go. Our fence obviously hasn't stopped them from doing what they wanted to do or where they want to scratch around. I would say your situation is the same as ours... Now your friend? Since she KEEPS them in the coop/run? Well, no, I wouldn't say her flock is free-ranging and she really shouldn't use that definition to sell her eggs.

We feed our gals at least 98% organic. Our property they forage on has been chemical-free since we bought it 9yrs ago and from all that I'm seeing, to get it organic certified it has to be chemical-free for at least 3yrs... We supplement with organic layer pellets and they're fed (mostly) organic fruit and veggie scraps as well as organic BOSS when I can find it. We have a private water well in which we don't add chemicals (i.e. fluoride) and that we filter for possible other contaminates. And we have NEVER used drugs, hormones, or antibiotics on our flock to maintain their health. Could we get certified organic classification? Probably, but when I looked into it I found that would entail over $700 year and one inspection upon another. I don't mind the inspection parts necessarily, but I don't have $700 year either. My operation is just too small....

Last edited:
Quote:
So far I have only sold to family and people at work but I just discovered yesterday that the girls from our may hatch are laying. I found one of the girls sitting on 29 eggs off in the corner, so I guess I will soon be time to start marketing! The truth is I really don't need to tell anyone that my birds free rage, because anyone who sees my sign will see my girls running around the yard, free as a bird! My wife wanted me to clip wings so that they stop leaving the back yard, but I think their freedom is the best marketing tool I have available!

twenty-nine.jpg

Presently, most of my birds range in a fenced in area at all times. Leaving fenced area is their choice but at present time all resources they need can be found within fence. This winter they will jump fence. Therefore they control where they range, so free range by legal and moral definition. Fence just keeps lazier neighbors out.

Quote:
Forget that! I would rather just let the people buying the eggs inspect my setup if they want. I think I will just put up a sign that says eggs for sale, and let the birds in the yard do the talking!

Back
Top Bottom