Is it getting close?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewChickener784, Jul 8, 2016.

1. NewChickener784

NewChickener784 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    I have 2 Buffs and 4 RIR all 18 weeks old. Should I be expecting that first egg any time soon?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Likely in the next 6 weeks. This is the time of year with the longest days. If you don't get eggs till August, it may even be longer.
    Keep feeding grower or all flock feed till you get the first egg.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are their combs and wattles enlarging and reddening? I would guess perhaps as much as 4 more weeks for those breeds.

4. NewChickener784

Mar 21, 2016
    Ironically, I hadn't checked the nesting area for a few days, just went and looked and found an egg. I just started them on layer feed 2 days ago. What I had read here and elsewhere is that 18 weeks was an appropriate age to begin layer feed.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations ! You have an early achiever.

6. NewChickener784

Mar 21, 2016

Does this mean that I can expect at least one to be having eggs from here on out?

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If all things continue as is, the one that laid the egg should continue on through winter and till next autumn when it will take a break while molting.

8. NewChickener784

Mar 21, 2016

I posted this when I got my first egg 3 days ago. I am not sure when it was laid, but I am yet to get another egg since I found this one. Should I be concerned?

9. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I'm certainly no expert, but from my experience I have never had a chick lay in the same year it was hatched. I think, based upon what I have learned here, is that unless it was hatched very early in the year (before Easter) by the time she get's to laying age the days have gotten too short and she turns off for the winter(?).

10. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullets are 15 weeks old and should be laying any day now.
    I am judging this from their comb, face and wattles as well as their squatting and checking out the nest boxes.
    Yes, they were hatched before Easter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by