Is it getting close?!

Likely in the next 6 weeks. This is the time of year with the longest days. If you don't get eggs till August, it may even be longer.
Keep feeding grower or all flock feed till you get the first egg.

Are their combs and wattles enlarging and reddening? I would guess perhaps as much as 4 more weeks for those breeds.

Ironically, I hadn't checked the nesting area for a few days, just went and looked and found an egg. I just started them on layer feed 2 days ago. What I had read here and elsewhere is that 18 weeks was an appropriate age to begin layer feed.

If all things continue as is, the one that laid the egg should continue on through winter and till next autumn when it will take a break while molting.

Ironically, I hadn't checked the nesting area for a few days, just went and looked and found an egg. I just started them on layer feed 2 days ago. What I had read here and elsewhere is that 18 weeks was an appropriate age to begin layer feed.

I posted this when I got my first egg 3 days ago. I am not sure when it was laid, but I am yet to get another egg since I found this one. Should I be concerned?

I'm certainly no expert, but from my experience I have never had a chick lay in the same year it was hatched. I think, based upon what I have learned here, is that unless it was hatched very early in the year (before Easter) by the time she get's to laying age the days have gotten too short and she turns off for the winter(?).

Back
Top Bottom