1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it good to have a mean rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sebrite_97, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sebrite_97

Sebrite_97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    I have a sebright bantam flock and i have a really mean rooster! whenever i go to get there water, he just keeps charging and charging and charging and he will keep it up for 30 minutes! he even spured my leg and gave me a pretty deep hole in my finger and they both hrt like #&!! [​IMG] but i also heard that a mean rooster is great for garding your flock. this is what i want my rooster to be like : [​IMG] . This is how he is: [​IMG]. is there any way to nicefy a rooster, but still hav him protect the flock? cuz each day he gets fiestyer, and fiestyer, and fiestyer.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. amyc

amyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    I personally wouldn't keep him. You shouldn't have to get attacked when you go out by the chickens. My roos are just reaching maturity, but I've seen a lot of roos that do a good job of protecting the hens without being pains in the butt.

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    the rooster needs to see you are above him. still guard your hens, but respect you as head rooster

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I don't care how little he is, he's dangerous and I wouldn't keep him. I've got a bantam EE roo who charges just a bit, but we've carried him around, he knows who is boss, and he'll back down. I've got a scar on my leg from the last roo, I won't have another one!

5. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    If you go to the learning center there is some good info there on dealing with roosters. If the advice doesn't help, or you are too afraid to even try, I would just rehome him. It's not like it's hard to get roosters right?

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    It would be "off with your head" at my house. I don't tolerate anything that is mean.

Mean roos make good fried chicken [​IMG]

7. chickencrazymom

chickencrazymom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Parsonsfield,ME.
    We had a mean rooster, and kept giving him chances , hoping that he would change , but he didn't , and the final straw was when he tore after a little girl that came to visit us , my husband and freind took care of him on the spot. We replaced him with our current roo , and the only time that he has come after me is one time first thing in the morning when I let them all out , he fluffed up and came at my leg , I kicked him, and he has been fine. He is always slightly crazy when he first comes out of the coop , he is this way with the hens also. The difference in the two roosters ? The second one learned, the first one didn't !!

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    There is a difference between a rooster that is brave, and protective of his girls, and a rooster that is just flat out mean, and too stupid to know who feeds him. If you show him who is boss, and you still can't turn your back on him, he should go.

9. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope none of my roos get that mean. I was actually pleased to see Puff Daddy taking on my dogs although I didn't allow it to go on for more than a few seconds.

But if he ever tries that on me... well I guess it will be Taekwondo practice to see if I can get him to back off. If not, he will be soup.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by