Is it good to have a mean rooster

I have an article by an old-timer from the UK, who says meaness is hereditary, so who am I, a novice compared to him, to argue. I agree with the others; I wouldn't keep him. A nearby friend had a couple of mean Sebright roos. She was using a broom to change the situation, she thought, and decided it had improved, so bent to pick up dish, and one of them almost caught her in the eye.
I know I won't allow a problem roo in my flock. The types that have that personality with each other are kept separate, but none of them attack humans, or they'd be dumplings quickly!
I did speak to a woman once who said that whenever she went out, she'd chase that mean roo, until he ran and hid, and then the other chickens chased him too. But he'd only leave her alone; he still went after the other members of the family. I still think the old-timer knows what he's talking about. And I certainly want to propogate meanness. There are too many really nice ones around, like my Faverolles. Grandpa is even kind to the baby bantams, and he was only 3 mo. old! Now there's a gentle cockerel!! They're both that way!

Last edited:
A roo being human-aggressive (they're sometimes called "man-fighters", please note they attack women, and little kids, too!) has nothing to do with them being good protectors of the flock.

I will not tolerate a mean roo. He'd be in the crock pot, about now. I wouldn't want to hatch his offspring either, and pass along those bad genes.

One of the other members on here posted a pic of what happened to her face when a roo attacked her. He spurred her face right by her eye, just a bit more one direction, she'd have lost that eye.

I won't put up with one that's overly rough with the hens, either.

There are way too many perfectly nice, yet protective, roos out there, to put up with a dangerous bully.

I have some great news! after a few weeks of ROO REHAB, I finally got my roo to behave! He is very nice but still gaurds the flock! This is how he waz:
smack.gif
This is how he is!
hugs.gif
YAY!!!!!

Quote:
Well put.

I appreciate my rooster. He's protective and a gentleman, and I can work in the yard while he takes his ladies around freely.
I did have a mean one that constantly came up and bit me for no reason at all - and I don't miss him a bit.

Quote:
I totally disagree with Chicks. Mean roos do not make good fried chicken. They are too tough. You need a slow cooking method, such as a crock pot.

Congratulations on getting your rooster to behave, but please watch him around other people, especially children.

It is good to have a mean rooster and get flogged every time you go out ........ if you like that sort of stuff. As for me no way.
Here what I did....... All you animal rights people stop reading now!
I had a RIR roo that thought he was the boss of the hens and me and he wanted to flog me peck and spur me. Well the second time he did it I kick the roo out of him and he went sailing across the pen. The next day he tried to get me again and I slapped him across his noggin. I think he only flipped 3 times. After that problem solved... He knows now I am the boss. Never has he tried to do anything to me. If you put 2 roos with 12 hens they will fight to see who is boss after the looser gets beat up a time or two he know he is not the boss. Same principle.
Good luck
Billy

A mean rooster is VERY GOOD Dinner!! No reason out there to have a mean rooster...try reforming him and if that doesn't work they are so good BBQ
lol.png

Quote:
I totally disagree with Chicks. Mean roos do not make good fried chicken. They are too tough. You need a slow cooking method, such as a crock pot.

Congratulations on getting your rooster to behave, but please watch him around other people, especially children.

Well you've never had my fried chicken
wink.png
All the roos we cook aren't tough in the least little bit....and I've eaten plenty of mean ones too.

OP ~ That is awesome! I just don't have the time to do rooster reform. There are far too many out here to worry about changing ones behavior LOL Hopefully your boy has learned his lesson.
smile.png

I'm glad the rooster was rehab'ed! That's great news.

I agree with what everyone else has already said here - mean rooster does not have a place in the flock. Just like I would not tolerate my protective dog to bite me in the hopes that he would bite an intruder - I would not tolerate a roo coming after me in the hopes he'd protect the flock. After all - I am head of the flock, right?
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom