Is it hard to candle Marans eggs?

I have several maran, welsummer & belvadere eggs in the bator right now. They were tough to candle especially the darker ones. I did have several that started to weep on the outside, little yellow bubbles showed up on the shell. I took them out and went to break them open. One little tap on the side and they popped into smelly scrambled egg soup.
th.gif
So they were were definately "under pressure" and a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.
I had 4 dark eggs and 1 dark jumbo RIR egg that did that all between 10 and 16 days. When I removed them from the turner I gave them a good inspection and even a sniff or two and the rest seemed okay. I'll know in the next day or two. Today is day 20 so I hope to have some new chickies before new years eve.

Aloha,
Cory

Quote:
It definately doesn't encourage healthy strong growth. The rotten egg is like a biological bomb that spews bacteria all over. May not kill you, but not good for you either. That and the smell alone will make you have to handle and clean the eggs and bator and probally move it outside if you have it the house.
I'm glad I've never had on explode in my bator...had one go off when I was candeling it and slimed my hand and flashlight, almost lost my lunch....not fun

Cory

Oh man. Just the thought of an exploding rotten egg in my house makes me cringe. I hope I'll be able to see SOMETHING - movement maybe. I'd think it would be hard to sniff out one bad egg in a bator full of eggs.

This has me worried. I was doing a search looking for candling maran eggs when I stumbled upon this post.

I have maran eggs coming in the mail and am worried I won't be able to candle them. Years ago (over 10 now) I had an egg explode in the bator and it was ugly !!! I don't want to go thru that again....lol.

I hear ppl talking about the sniff test but my sinuses in general are pretty bad. If the egg isn't weeping I don't know if it will work for me.
fl.gif

I read somewhere that someone said they scrubbed some of the color off on both sides to be able to candle but that doesn't sound healthy.... let bacteria in.

Figures I'd find something to worry about and ruin my incubator high....lol, and they aren't even here yet.
lau.gif
roll.png

Julie
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom