Is it illegal to own a Canadian Goose?

And Canada geese are dangerous animals to keep...they give nasty bites and do attack any animals.
Even grizzle bears are afraid of canada geese.
Canada geese are very strong & tough birds, full of hard muscles.
Be careful with canada geese.

From the Environment Canada website:

"Question:

Is a permit required to keep wild migratory game birds such as ducks and geese in captivity?

Answer:

Yes, avicultural permits to possess live migratory game birds are available from the Canadian Wildlife Service. Prior to being granted an avicultural permit, certain requirements must be met. Anyone who is interested in raising migratory game birds should contact the nearest office of the Canadian Wildlife Service for more information. "

You may never have an issue, however if someone spots the goose in your yard and makes a phone call then you may face charges/fines for keeping the bird.

Quote:
This is false information. We raise 6 different types of Canadian geese and have flocks in two states. BOTH states require a state permit to keep them.

Do not go by my word either OR some unknown person that only lists a first name.........................check with YOUR Dept of Natural Resource or Game Fish & Parks, whatever it's called in your area.

Randy do you have or know of any site that has side by side size comparison pictures of the various subspecies of the canada goose ? Or particularly the Giants, Moffits, Richardsons, Aleutian, and Cackling ( though I beleve the. Cacklers are no longer considered a canada subspecies ) But I wouls like to eventually get one or two of these subspecies and I would like to see how they rank in size comparison.

I don't think it is illegal, not in NB anyway. A breeder I use has a flock of them. They CAN fly. I didn't ask if they were wild or his breeding stock though. He does have wild ducks that use his pond..

I just searched google, and it is illegal in a lot of States in the US, but haven't found anything about it being illegal in Canada. You can even order them from hatcheries.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/juvenile_canadia_geese.html

Quote:
This can be true of any breed of goose not just canadian geese. I have canada geese in the past and they were friendly enough also young birds are not tough to eat i find no difference in them then other geese i have eaten. As for owning one legally you are supposed to have a permit here in canada but alot of people escape without doing so the laws depending where you live are a little lax. You need to contact your nearest wildlife office in regards of permits its very unlikely they will let you have a permit for a animal you found in the wild chances are they will take it and if it can be re introduced to the wild it will be if not it will be euthenized. Wild birds often carry parasites such as lice so you may wanna be careful of that. You can buy canada geese from hatcheries but those are tattooed saying they are not from the wild and they have been born and raised in captivity etc etc etc. I personally love them they make great meat birds and are a wonderful breed to raise if you ever get the chance.

Last edited:
Canadian Geese are protected by the Migratory Birds Convention Act in Canada. Most likely you will need a permit. Only way to know for sure is to contact your local fish and game.

Quote:
This can be true of any breed of goose not just canadian geese. I have canada geese in the past and they were friendly enough also young birds are not tough to eat i find no difference in them then other geese i have eaten. As for owning one legally you are supposed to have a permit here in canada but alot of people escape without doing so the laws depending where you live are a little lax. You need to contact your nearest wildlife office in regards of permits its very unlikely they will let you have a permit for a animal you found in the wild chances are they will take it and if it can be re introduced to the wild it will be if not it will be euthenized. Wild birds often carry parasites such as lice so you may wanna be careful of that. You can buy canada geese from hatcheries but those are tattooed saying they are not from the wild and they have been born and raised in captivity etc etc etc. I personally love them they make great meat birds and are a wonderful breed to raise if you ever get the chance.

I agree, i don't think they're any more dangerous than any other type of geese. Where I live, they're more aggressive during feeding time and more protective of their nests than the domestic geese, but not so much that I would fear for anyone's safety.

I found a abanded gosling my husband had seen the parent all week but I looked for three days an could not find them I am raising her an will keep her in my fenced back yard free to fly away when older if she/ he wishes I am not locking her away I will put her up at nite to keep her safe let her out during the day with ducks chickens geese the wild ones fly over all the time an hang with my flock by the fence at least until I found this baby up the road herd a lady was trying to catch them:-( I wish game link warden across street would hav le seen her, he has seen the wild one by my chickens in the spring they hung out tether by
my chain link fence :p

I found a abanded gosling my husband had seen the parent all week but I looked for three days an could not find them I am raising her an will keep her in my fenced back yard free to fly away when older if she/ he wishes I am not locking her away I will put her up at nite to keep her safe let her out during the day with ducks chickens geese the wild ones fly over all the time an hang with my flock by the fence at least until I found this baby up the road herd a lady was trying to catch them:-( I wish game link warden across street would hav le seen her, he has seen the wild one by my chickens in the spring they hung out tether by
my chain link fence :p
I wish you the best with this gosling, you couldn't leave it to fend for it self it would have been eaten pretty quick I think.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom