Is it Illegal to Sell Chicken Eggs?

I read somewhere about you needing to have an NPIP cert to sell eggs or live chickens in the state of TX. From everything I have gathered it is free. They come out to your place and test a certain percentage or amount of your flock, depending on how many you have. I think there was a something about the birds being over 6 months before they could be tested.

Hi,

I'm in TX and I spent a lot of time online trying to find the answer to this same question. I did find it on one of the state dept. agriculture websites finally, and even then it was a bit hard to understand, but the way I interpreted it is that here in Texas, you can sell your eggs directly to the consumer without any kind of license, but you cannot sell to a reseller. So for example you can put up a sign and sell to neighbors or go to a flea market, but you cannot sell to a local grocery store for them to resell to their customers.

Also, you cannot sell in cartons that you saved from the grocery store that have another brand name/info on them. You should use blank cartons and mark the eggs "ungraded" and include contact info like address or website in case there is a problem.

If I can find the website again, I'll post the link.

I think in NC I can sell them without the states permission as long I don't don't grade them

Farmers who sell meat, poultry, and eggs in North Carolina must comply with state and federal laws designed to ensure that meat and poultry products sent into commerce are wholesome, unadulterated, and properly labeled. The North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA&CS) enforces these laws.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/SustAg/meatandeggs.html

Go to the usda and look up eggs. They are controlled by them.
They have several pages just about egg production. In my view I would sell them and not worry.

§1032. Congressional declaration of policy
It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Congress to provide for the inspection of certain egg products, restrictions upon the disposition of certain qualities of eggs, and uniformity of standards for eggs, and otherwise regulate the processing and distribution of eggs and egg products as hereinafter prescribed to prevent the movement or sale for human food, of eggs and egg products which are adulterated or misbranded or otherwise in violation of this chapter.

Same here...Nevada makes you grade/candle/clean your eggs, label with safe handling info, keep egg collection records, record every bird that comes to your flock and every bird that leaves your flock, and tons of other stuff. Then the county gets involved with inspections and verifying that you are storing eggs at the proper temp. Jeesh! Glad I have friends who are grateful to know where their food is coming from and trust that, since I eat the same eggs, I will do everything to prevent a problem with consuming my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom