Is it Illegal to Sell Chicken Eggs?

I think the milk and meat thing have to do with disease. You can't sell raw milk except directly from your home. I think cows can harbor TB and polio and other diseases that affect people. I know that my MIL's dad was a milkman back in the old days and for health reasons would not let his children drink unpastuerized milk. My MIL talks about when the churches would close because of polio outbreaks...I'm glad that I am too young for those kinds of scares.

Karen

I plan on using my eggs as incentives to my neighbors. If you keep your music down I will keep you in eggs etc, etc,
lol.png

We are dealing with large animal at school (vet tech 11weeks and counting) right now and mom'sfolly is right about the laws against selling meat and raw milk.
Unpasturized milk can carry things like salmonella (sp?), listeriosis, possibly e.coli (eeek I have a test soon. I need to remember this) and any kind of meds that have been given to the animal can be passed through the milk and into people. Same goes with the meat.

I think as long as you are selling less then 30 dozen eggs you don't have to be registered/certified by the USDA.
As far as raw milk, here's a site that has a list of farms that you can purchase it from. raw milk Just click on your state to find a farm near you, they have both goat, cow and I do believe camel and water buffalo, as well. It also has places to buy cheese, and other dairy products. Some places will even mail cheese to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
It deepens on where you are as everyone says. Just look up your local agricultural dept. In wa, you can sell as many eggs as you want as long as you are selling off your property and not "marketing" them. I doubt anything legal will happen to you if you are only selling like 10 dz a week.

I just looked this up for Minnesota. I have to have a license to legally sell shell eggs. The license includes an inspection of my coop and instructions of local laws. The statutes say I have to label new, food safe, unmarked cartons with an expiration date no more than four weeks past the date the eggs are laid (three weeks is suggested for safety). Egg containers have to say "Perishable, must be refrigerated". Eggs must not be washed, but should not be overly dirty or damaged in any way.

I think I will try some neighborly "under the fence" for my occasional surplus!

Check your Texas Dept of Agriculture website, or give them a call.

All states have some form of regulations, but many exempt small producers, etc.

Quote:
It is not "illegal", per se, but there are regulations that must be followed. These regulations vary by state.

For the regulations in your state, you will need to contact the Texas Dept of Agriculture:

http://www.agr.state.tx.us/agr/program_render/0,1987,1848_5606_0_0,00.html?channelId=5606

They are used to these type of questions and should have some prepared info to send you.

Here in Wisconsin, I contacted our Dept of Agriculture, and they sent me a nice information packet that described all of the state regulations. For example, here in Wisconsin egg sales from the farm are unregulated. I can sell all the eggs I want, without grading or inspection, as long as I am selling from the premises.

If I wanted to sell to retailers or restaurants, I would need an Egg Processors Permit, need to have the necessary facilities, need to grade the eggs, and would be subject to quarterly inspection by the state.

If I wanted to sell directly to the consumer from a farmers' market or door-to-door sales route, then I would need the above, plus a Mobile Retailer's Permit.

As far as your questions about the IRS, there is not a lower limit as to the amount of income that has to be reported. If you have income you are required to report it. Your taxable income (profit) is determined by taking your gross sales and subtracting your expenses (feed, housing, electricity, water, vehicle expenses, etc.) With just a few hens you unlikely to make a profit that would be taxable.

Contact your Dept of Agriculture and see what they have to say. They will be able to give you an idea of what is permissible for a backyard producer in your state.

Back
Top Bottom