Is it impacted crop if it's not hard?

If all is normal, food generally passes through fairly quickly. It seems like she has something going on farther down. You could try worming, to see if that gets things moving. I've had birds with blockages from worms, I had one that didn't start moving things through normally for a week after worming, but eventually did. It also could be something else, it's hard to know since we can't see inside. It could be the gizzard, it could be something farther down. With out vet care, we just do the things we can to try to see if we can remedy it. I've never used fennel, no idea on that. If she were mine, I would worm her, see if that makes any difference. If not then a stool softener (ducosate sodium), not a stimulant laxative, can be tried. There are also flushes that can be used, epsom salts, molasses, (these are also used for flushing toxins in the case of poisoning) to try to move things. If you use those you have to make sure she takes in plenty of fluids as they can be dehydrating, which could make things worse.
The links I gave you before, have a lot of very good information on crop issues.
Thanks! Worms makes sense... How would I know if she has worms, wouldn't they be in the poop? I don't see any in her poop.

Based on the links you sent, I'm guessing it's slow crop. It's never been hard, so probably not impacted, and it doesn't have any smell at all, so maybe not sour crop either? Though it's been full for so long that it may turn sour sooner or later anyway. The two links give conflicting advice regarding turning her upside down to vomit - one article recommends doing it, the other recommends not doing it... so I don't know what to do. I'll ask the vet about that tomorrow, as well as about deworming and miconazole, just in case. In the meantime, I put a bra on her and gave her a tiny bit (teaspoon) of moistened crumble, which she ate hungrily. She checks my hands and pockets whenever I take her out of the crate, poor thing is so hungry :hit

One thing I just noticed is that suddenly her face is very red. It was its normal color this morning, then after our struggle to syringe the oil and NutriDrench into her, it turned bright red, so I assumed it was just blood pumping extra hard from the physical struggle. But that was 6 hours ago and when I checked on her just now, her face was just as red! Not the comb - that's still pale because she's not laying yet - just her face. I checked her vent, it looks clean and normal, and she's definitely nowhere near POL yet because I can barely fit a single finger between her pelvic bones. But the red face thing is strange... what do you think?

IMG_2357.jpeg

The only way to know for sure about worms is a fecal. And sometimes you can get a false negative on that if it hits perfectly in the life cycle, I'm not really sure how often that happens, but have heard of it happening. But that is the best way to know. They are not always visible in the droppings, they live their entire life cycle in the host, and are often digested on death. The fecal looks for the eggs, which are microscopic, and shed in the droppings. Since you are seeing a vet, hopefully that will be ruled in or out. Worming is generally pretty safe, if in doubt.

I never vomit my birds, I know other people do. If done incorrectly, the bird can aspirate the crop contents and die. I would not do that, I would see your vet first and see what they have to say about possible causes. When the issue is located in the crop (something in the crop won't pass or is blocking things) then crop surgery can be done to remove it. If there is a blockage farther down then surgery gets risky, or impossible, depending on where it is.

The red could be hormonal, could be from the excitement/stress of all that's been done to her and the handling, or could just be fluctuation in hormones meaning she might be getting closer to lay. All of them can have color fluctuations in comb and wattles, most of the time it's not anything to worry about unless it accompanies other signs of illness. Cockerels often have very noticeable fluctuations as they mature and it's almost always hormonal.

Back
Top Bottom