Is it just a matter of time?

not only is this hen going to live she is THRIVING!!! My next question is how do I introduce her back to the flock. when I say 'flock' I mean her 6 sisters? I was thinking of putting the others in the chicken run and putting her in the coop by herself. Let her in there for a bit and then let the others back in.... This way she has a 'presence' in the coop with out them being in there.
What is the protocol here?

Good idea on that! I wouldn't do it until she gains some weight. You could try by putting one buddy in with her. (That will also encourage her to eat). Make it the lowest gal in the pecking order so that there won't be any hassling.

I'd wait two days and reevaluate before putting them all back together. Then you need to monitor that one every other day, then weekly for a good while - just make sure she's keeping on track.

It's a pleasure to hear that she's doing so well! Good job!
big_smile.png

Sounds like a good plan. I had a bird who was low on the pecking order (and blind in one eye) so she didn't eat properly. She didn't get to the point of not being able to walk, but isolated herself until she was very thin and extremely skittish. I brought her into the house for about a week to fattenen her up. During the second week, I would take her out to be around the other birds a couple of times a day while I stood over her for protection. After a week, I put her out at night to sleep in the coop. Then, back in the house during the day (did this for a couple of days). When she was finally outside full-time, I would monitor her feeding to make sure she could eat without getting picked on. I think I supplemented her feed with some fresh treats each morning for another week. She went back into the flock with no problem and even started picking on some hens herself. Good luck with your hen! Lynn

Back
Top Bottom