Is it just me? Have we lost a lot of members? Members posting differently?

I have to say I miss the recent and unanswered post button/things.

That I agree with. I used to check it every so often to see what I could answer with some degree of knowledge. I can't seem to do that now. I don't feel I have enough time to keep up with my State thread and everything else on the site. I have chickens, and other live pets to take care of beside just be here on the site.

After thinking the situation over, I have come to the conclusion that the site is now over organized. In the past, I would review the recent posts and look for something that piqued my interest. Now it is so organized that one can promptly find what they are looking for, but there is a lot of stuff that just never gets looked at that way.

I miss the random assortment of problems and questions. And now, frankly it is kind of a bore.

Rufus

I took a break for a while, moving and family issues, when I came back, I found the new forum so difficult to manage. I still don't like it. I just don't like the setup, and all the extra steps. I agree with everyone, change is needed, but for me, I find it not to my personal liking. I keep trying to like it tho, I love this site so much!!! But it does become a struggle to see the "new posts", it's no longer easy as a button. Also, I have difficulties locating my personal page stuff and whatnot. I like the new way to add pics, but that's about it. I'm not complaining, well, much....... I just miss the old easy way. But I'm not going anywhere, so there it is!
big_smile.png

Oh, and I reply less because most of the time I can't figure out where the reply button is
hu.gif
I know it's down there somewhere........ somewhere........ oh, there it is!!! LOL! Really tho, I end up hitting the quote or reply to the current poster, not the entire thread (yeah, I'm a ditz
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
I took a break. Sick kid who was just slow to bounce back made for a very nervous mother. Then we got into adopting our foster son and college for him. Then the 6 month old twins figured out crawling. Life got in the way for a while. I do love my birds and reading and talking to adults. But my kids grow up too dang fast and I may not be anyone special, but I'm a mom first and most importantly.

I stopped posting, deleted my profile and updated pictures simply because I felt some people play games in here...it started with the drawing club, a club that encouraged all those with drawing skills to post their work, well I felt only because the work of some members was not better but different than those running it, they basically started ignoring the post of those members, myself included. They started this childish, conversation back and forth as if there were doing IM. Second, my new chicks got ill with cocciosis (sp) I took some very detailed shots of their poop, at that time I didn't know what they had, hence I came here looking for help, in a matter of two hours about 35 people view it and not a single response, we all know how dangerous that disease can be and how fast it can kill our chicks, well I went to another group posted the same picture and within 10 mintues two members confirmed and suggested treatment and even where to get it around my area. Couple more hours went by and I think my post got 77 views and not s single response...that's when I decided to take a break.
I came back a few weeks ago, after getting my camera back and being able to take some pictures of my silkies chicks, excited and wanting to share the joy, I posted some pictures in the Silkie Thread, I was also asking for help IDing some colors that were unkown to me, I had someone tell me one in another group but still had question about others, I see people in there left and right with so much knowledge in colors, commenting, posting, replying but only one lady commented (to that member, many thanks) on my pictures. After my post there was someone asking advice as she was new to Silkies or was planning on getting into Silkies, that post got over 7 replies or maybe more. Other members also posted pictures after me and they got more attention as well, so I decided to deleted my pictures and just stop posting here all together.
Now I am scarred to post anything because I feel as If I'm not welcome.

Forgot to mentioned if I use my Bing search tool---Feeding garlic to chickens---this is what comes up

Garlic for chickens?

BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard ChickensFeeding & Watering Your Flock › Garlic for chickens?
www.backyardchickens.com/t/386310/garlic-for-chickens
Feeding Chickens Garlic to reduce odors

don't know about the garlic - it might also keep the chickens from getting worms too. i had an odor problem in the run, and got a busted bag of stall dry from TSC for ...
www.backyardchickens.com/t/82793/feeding-chickens-garlic-to-reduce

If I use the search engine in BYC this is what comes up
Results 1 - 10

Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Hi!!! Just caught up.... I put an ad up for four of my ducklings today. Hope people want 'em....
In Forum: Ducks
Replies: 23395 | Started: Nov 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Last Post: Today at 8:18 pm

***OKIES in the BYC III ***

old*cowboy :Quote:Originally Posted by Doc Henry Quote:Originally Posted by NanaKat Doc, did you...
In Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
Replies: 26578 | Started: May 9, 2011 at 8:11 am | Last Post: Today at 8:17 pm

The site has become a little hard to navigate and to find things...

I see that sometimes too, but I try not to let it get to me. I also do not like the "games" so I just avoid those posts now. I remember way back when I first signed up, it was easier to meet and connect with people, now there are so many of us that it's hard to have "friendships" unless you frequent one or two posts constantly. And the questions asked have become so commonplace that many are just tired of answering the same ones over and over. I think you should stay!
hugs.gif

I stopped posting, deleted my profile and updated pictures simply because I felt some people play games in here...it started with the drawing club, a club that encouraged all those with drawing skills to post their work, well I felt only because the work of some members was not better but different than those running it, they basically started ignoring the post of those members, myself included. They started this childish, conversation back and forth as if there were doing IM. Second, my new chicks got ill with cocciosis (sp) I took some very detailed shots of their poop, at that time I didn't know what they had, hence I came here looking for help, in a matter of two hours about 35 people view it and not a single response, we all know how dangerous that disease can be and how fast it can kill our chicks, well I went to another group posted the same picture and within 10 mintues two members confirmed and suggested treatment and even where to get it around my area. Couple more hours went by and I think my post got 77 views and not s single response...that's when I decided to take a break.
I came back a few weeks ago, after getting my camera back and being able to take some pictures of my silkies chicks, excited and wanting to share the joy, I posted some pictures in the Silkie Thread, I was also asking for help IDing some colors that were unkown to me, I had someone tell me one in another group but still had question about others, I see people in there left and right with so much knowledge in colors, commenting, posting, replying but only one lady commented (to that member, many thanks) on my pictures. After my post there was someone asking advice as she was new to Silkies or was planning on getting into Silkies, that post got over 7 replies or maybe more. Other members also posted pictures after me and they got more attention as well, so I decided to deleted my pictures and just stop posting here all together.

One thing I have noticed is that I don't get updates every time there's a new message. When I go back, it's not unusual for *pages* of new posts to have gone by without me having gotten a notification. It would not surprise me to learn that because of this, people aren't reading every post on every thread, particularly the fast moving threads like the Silkie thread.

When it comes to emergencies, seems to me a lot of people are looking to learn and there may not be a lot of people posting over there unless they are needing to be on the receiving end of information. I absolutely would not take it personally; I'm sorry that makes you feel unwelcome.
sad.png
I've had entire threads over there where I was talking to myself, particularly with the bloody poop one. I just think people might not actually know, and are hesitant to give their two cents when they could be wrong and cause a delay in treatment or even more damage.

I absolutely assume that if I ask and don't get a question that either the post got missed (on a big thread) or no one knows enough to be willing to share.

Just my .02; ymmv.

And I learned a really long time ago that when you get away from the common interest, it can get ugly fast. I have never seen a bb stay nice in those kinds of threads, ever, and I've been on a lot of boards for a lot of years.

Back
Top Bottom