Is it just me or is it common?

R3M1X

Chirping
May 14, 2019
Norlina, NC
I currently have 4 roosters, three of which are cockerels - two of the cockerels are about 6 months old (in about a week and a couple days) and have grown into their big boy crows. With their father I noticed that he liked after he started crowing he liked to sit in their little box "cave", face the corner, and crow to himself... Now I am seeing similar signs from the older of the two month old cockerels. Is this normal? Does he just like hearing himself talk? I find it kind of funny since none of the hens or ducks do it so I assume it is just a rooster thing.
20190715_103730.jpg

I currently have 4 roosters, three of which are cockerels - two of the cockerels are about 6 months old (in about a week and a couple days) and have grown into their big boy crows. With their father I noticed that he liked after he started crowing he liked to sit in their little box "cave", face the corner, and crow to himself... Now I am seeing similar signs from the older of the two month old cockerels. Is this normal? Does he just like hearing himself talk? I find it kind of funny since none of the hens or ducks do it so I assume it is just a rooster thing.View attachment 1845678
I would say from the description that this is normal nesting behaviour. Cockerels and roosters will often sit in an empty nest and call for hens to come and lay eggs there.

I would say from the description that this is normal nesting behaviour. Cockerels and roosters will often sit in an empty nest and call for hens to come and lay eggs there.
Sounds more to me like he's hiding from his father, and possibly that his father was hiding from the hens? My early crowers tend to get picked on, and if they don't feel up to challenging the big boys yet, they hide.

Yes I agree they young cockerels might be hiding. I've never seen a cockerel crowing in a corner if he had the option of leaving the area. They usually like to get up high and sound off as proud as punch. Sitting down like that in corners IS nesting behaviour where the roos encourage the girls where to lay, but this is accompanied by a particular low repetitive call sort of like the tidbit call, not crowing.

Mmm I dont know if he is hiding because both of them are at the top of their pecking order. It could be nesting behavior, but he knows they nest in the hen house where it is less open. maybe the reason will just be a mystery to me and just note it that it could be a way for them to practice their crowing to boost their confidence like how a person would talk to the mirror to pump themselves up.

Could be hiding.I had a boy who was low on the order who I’d literally have to bring in the house for him to crow, and the doors had to be shut and he couldn’t hear nor see the others boys until he would crow,they defiantly will hide from the more dominant birds to avoid taking a beating.

Back
Top Bottom