Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by andisgarden, Jan 16, 2010.

1. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    So I finally did it, I processed my roos. And while I was processing I got so cold because it was 15degrees outside and I brought them inside the garage. It took me 3 hours to totally process them. I plucked them mostly but there were those pin feathers and I think my fingers were going to fall off. So, I finished them and left a few in is it OK? Can I just finish them when I thaw them to eat? I was afraid if I left them un-chilled much longer they would start to spoil. Am I just paranoid about them spoiling so fast, I did eviscerate in my kitchen where it was warm. I hate to do things half way but, the weather had me to the wall and I was either going to freeze to death or they were going to keep dying of heart attack not very good options. A little encouragement would be helpful..If we are going to die because I left them un-chilled too long please advise me of that too because I am going to cook my first of the batch today.

Thanks so much

2. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    When we did our first roo, from the time we started til finish, it was a few hours because we had no idea what we were doing. We put him in the fridge in brine for a few days and then put him in the rotisserie. That was New Years and were still alive,....lol None of us ever got sick. I'd say your ok

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    A few pinfeathers left in will not hurt anything. I pull them out of grocery store chickens all the time. And I think you're OK with your three unrefrigerated hours also. Sounds like it might have beenas cold as it was in the refrigerator (We don't even know how long commercially processed birds go unrefrigerated and we're probably happier not knowing!) Just make sure they're completely done when you cook them...no medium rare chickies!

4. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    Well I am cookin him up Cajun style..YUMMY I can't wait to see how this guy tastes..PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let there be a difference in the taste. I want it to be fabulous! Especially since they were so much work.

andrea

5. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Oh, They are definantely tasty! I find it very much worth the effort, there is no grocery store chicken out there that can beat the taste of a home grown roo! yum!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    OK KoOL, I am going to hold you to that. The smell wafting from my oven is really smelling terrific.

7. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Mine was a mean Silkie roo. He was small, like a cornish hen so there wasn't much meat. If he wasn't so mean, we wouldn't have ate him. Anyways, he was the best tasting chicken I have ever had! EVER!!! Me and my daughter where ready to go get another roo from the coop....lol I think you will LOVE the taste!!!

8. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    So how did it taste?

9. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    [​IMG]I also want to know how he tasted, we are getting ready to send five or six boys to freezer camp in the AM! I also want to know how you cooked him... it sounded like the oven but I'm double checking it wasn't the crock pot. Hope he was yummy!!!

10. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    I cooked him in a cooking bag with olive oil and cajun spices. He was tasty but, I was sooo worried about infection etc.. that I overcooked it a bit. He was a bit dry. Very tasty, and lots of meat but it wasn't as moist as birds that I have cooked in the past. I think it was also to the fact that I cooked it on convection and I typically just roast in a regular oven and it cut my time down, and the bag reduces cooking time so I just over did it.

However, my husband is raving saying it is the best chicken ever. He said that it was worth it and we are going to do it again for sure. He is already planning places to do them next time. So, yes it was worth it.

As for it being healthy and not making us sick...I will get back to you tomorrow. I suspect we will be just fine.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by