1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it just that time of year?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Katy9532, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Katy9532

Katy9532 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm reading all these threads on hawks killing chickens. I too lost a chicken to a hawk about 3 weeks ago. I know it was a hawk because it came back the next morning to see if we had left any little tidbits out for it to finish after burring the hen.

I have been home from work the last two days and while outside playing with the horses, dog, and chickens I have noticed several birds of prey flying about. They are everywhere!!!!

So is it because its winter and other food may be more limited? I have had my chickens less than a year, so I am still new to this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't know what part of the country your from but most hawk species migrate this time of year. Also they are pairing off to raise a new family and male hawks use feeding courtship to woo a mate. Think of it like a dinner date.

Because male hawks are only half the size of the female but because the male does most of the hunting until after the eggs hatch, feeding courtship is important to assure the female hawk that she chose a good provider for her new family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by