Is it just that time of year?

Katy9532

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
I'm reading all these threads on hawks killing chickens. I too lost a chicken to a hawk about 3 weeks ago. I know it was a hawk because it came back the next morning to see if we had left any little tidbits out for it to finish after burring the hen.

I have been home from work the last two days and while outside playing with the horses, dog, and chickens I have noticed several birds of prey flying about. They are everywhere!!!!

So is it because its winter and other food may be more limited? I have had my chickens less than a year, so I am still new to this.

Last edited:
I don't know what part of the country your from but most hawk species migrate this time of year. Also they are pairing off to raise a new family and male hawks use feeding courtship to woo a mate. Think of it like a dinner date.

Because male hawks are only half the size of the female but because the male does most of the hunting until after the eggs hatch, feeding courtship is important to assure the female hawk that she chose a good provider for her new family.

Back
Top Bottom