Is it labor ?

marshmellow

In the Brooder
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Hello,

I have a nigerian dwarf goat who is about eight months old. I am not sure when she was bred (I bought her from someone who didn't take care of her AT ALL) from my calculations she is due sometime this month (early May I think)

Well today I have noticed that she is stomping her feet and pressing her head against the gate, She is also nibbling her tummy and scratching her face with her hoof she is twitching a lot.

Could this be the beginning of labor? I want to make sure that I get her into her pen alone if it is.

Is there anything else I can look for?

Thanks I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Sabrina

I know nothing about goats, but I had to tell you that I am soooo excited for you!!! Remeber to post pics after she delivers!
fl.gif

me neither but I do have horses and to be safe I would put her alone. Horses tend to nip at their bellies and would imagine goats do too.

Yep I would make sure you have the vet on speed dial as she is very young to be bred as I dont breed my Nigis till they are 15 mths or older...Some do fine at that age but some dont and if its multiples it could be a sign of trouble.
What is her temp?
Is she still eating?
Did she start loosing her plug?
Is her udder tight?
What is her diet?
All of theses will help determine if she is close or not. They need calcium as in Alfalfa hay or pellets as its a must in their diet not just hay. What are her shots? CD/T? Bo-se? Make sure you have some type of KY jelly or J-lube on hand as you might need to help her. I would also give her a Fortified B shot too..

I'd be more nervous then excited at this point, and hope for twins. What's she doing now? Do you know how to check ligs?

I spend the evening out there just watching her. I believe she may be having some twinges but she has not lost her plug though it looks like her ligaments are gone. Her udder has filled quite a bit but I wouldn't call it tight.

So this poor girl is a tragic story when I got her she was pregnant but it's not her first pregnancy. Her first kid died (I believe she would only have been around 4/5 months having him) she was put straight back out with bucks and of course was bred again. When I got her she was really under fed her hoofs were so over grown that they were about 3 inches long in front and pointed. Her coat was white. She was very stand offish. She had lung worm and a cold. Her previous owners were totally irresponsible it makes me so mad to think about how they neglected her.

We have nursed her back to health and her coat is actually a light brown she loved us and eats from our hands now. She is fully up to date on her shots and while I am afraid that she will not do too well during this birth I am hopeful that our TLC will see her and her kid through.

She has plenty of Alfalfa and minerals to munch on. Is there anything else I can be doing to help her?

Along with the other excellent advice you have I would recommend a "hair cut" trim the hair on her udder and on the under side of her tail close also shorten the hair around the delivery chute and down the back of the legs, don't shave this but trim it short. This will make make it easier to keep track of her udder and for kid(s) to nurse, and make cleanup easier. Not to worry it will all grow back.
Get her in a stall and if ya have a baby monitor put it to use. If you plan to have more kids (goat) I would highly recommend a camera with monitor next to yer bed. It will save ya many false alarm runs to the barn in the middle of the night. These systems can be had for around $100. Trust me they are very worth it.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom