Is it lucrative to raise quail for egg-selling?

Quote:
No, you use the eggs for garnish, usually raw.
sickbyc.gif
Sorry, I've tried it on many things and I just don't like it! LOL! That is an interesting avenue to get into, though. I might have to see if there is a market for it here.

Shelly

Quote:
Yup. I had someone want the button eggs for eating but I want to hatch allllll of mine!!!!!
big_smile.png
(Granted, I have all of 12 right now..) The Coturnix, I don't really have more room for and I can't stop them from laying even with fake eggs in the cages, so they stack up in the fridge. I don't really eat eggs myself, so.. the selling of them works out for me. This spring, I may get more because I like the silly little minichickens. Then I'll have even more eggs to deal with, so I'm kind of glad I've got a market for them.
-Spooky

I'll definitely be looking into seeing if there's a market around here. I only have 4 Coturnix right now, but if I can make a profit like that off of them I'll be sticking more in the bator!

I would say go for it. I need to check the restaurants around here, too. But I swear I sell more button/coturnix/bobwhite eggs for hatching here than I do selling the birds, for meat or otherwise. They're more likely to be used for dog-training here!
hmm.png

You are selling them for $10 per 10 eggs? Our local supermarket(which is shoprite) has them for $2.99 a dozen. I've heard from another supermarket they get them for less than $1 per dozen from the wholesaler. I'm also interested in getting into quail business but my question would be, will it be profitable if I can only sell them for $0.75 a dozen. Now that the chicken egg price has collapsed(our local supermarket sometimes have them for $0.99 a dozen so the wholesale price for chicken eggs are way under that price), I wonder how much you can mark up quail eggs for.

If you plan on selling to grocery stores, you must have an Egg Handler License in the state of Washington. You can sell as many eggs as you want, directly to individuals, without a license; but the moment you sell to a third party or at a farmers market, you must have a license.

Back
Top Bottom