Is it MITES?

Oh no no no!! Do not spray the liquid on the chickens! Dust them!! The liquid would be for the coop only!!

Oh okay thanks. And dawg53 how did you list what kind of chickens you have undernieth your comment??

We were able to do that on the previous "old" BYC site. You could edit what chickens you had etc...
When this new site came out, pretty much everything was transferred over from the old BYC. I havnt had any new chickens added or removed from my flock in quite awhile and there hasnt been any need to make changes. I'm not computer savvy and would have to research how to add/remove or make changes to it on this new site. You might check "The Learning Center" or "FAQ's," on how to do it.
If I were to make changes, I'd have to do the same lol.

Billyb... if you go to the top of this page, click on My Profile (one of the brown tabs). Scroll to the bottom and you will see Your Forum Signature. Enter whatever you want there!

It sounds like she's been spending a lot of time trying to sit on eggs. Their entire stomachs/chests get bald like that and feces can accumulate around their vent because they're not up and moving around. There's no sense treating the birds unless you actually know for a fact they have mites or lice.

I just bought a few black sex links from TSC. What I thought was white feathers when they were being boxed up turned out to be a bald spot behind the wings on one. The chick appears comfortable and healthy, but does get picked at and pecked a bit by the others. I don't have a magnifying glass but to the naked eye there do not seem to be any eggs/larvae/or bugs as mentioned in the above articles/links. These guys were packed together crazy tight over the weekend, and chicks like the red sex links and Orange Orpingtons that arrived today do not seem to have the problem.

Is it possible this baldness is just from being walked on and perhaps bullied a bit?

Should I use something on it as a preventative or to just keep it more comfortable till the feather's grow pack? (They basically look like they have been plucked.)

I too just noticed a bald spot on my week old chick, I do believe it's because it is growing in all of her feathers. Or maybe it Is getting bullied, but she is the biggest chick and I dusting them with the mite dust. But honestly I think it is feather growth. :)

Back
Top Bottom