Is it molting?

linzde

Hatching
Aug 15, 2016
California
I have 4 chickens (black sex links and ideals) and every single one of them has lost their fluff feathers (all feathers that cover their rear ends) and their saddle feathers (the feathers next to their tail). It has been this way for several months and they show no signs of feathers coming in. It looks terrible.
I have them on a high protein egg layer feed which is supposed to help them regain their feathers.
Is this molting or could there be something else causing this? Listing all possibilities would help me gain more knowledge as my resources are greatly lacking in information.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like mites/lice etc...I would dust with poultry dust the chickens and the coop. Every morning I do what I call a butt check. all the chickens have to have fluffy butts.

I have diatomaceous earth in their coop that I thought would prevent those little critters from gettin my girls.
I've never heard of poultry dust so I'll look it up.
Thank you for your reply
Lindsay

it garden dust poultry dusting powder. usually found around the same place as the diatomaceous earth. But with this you actually dust the chickens. easy at nite. pull one out of the coop dust with powder make sure under wings. then on to the next hen. for the coop. I clean it out then let the powder fly so gets into every nook and cranny. I powder the nesting poles they roost on.

Back
Top Bottom