Is it natural nature for the chickens to come into the coop at night?

OK,they have been in the run now twice after being "cooped" up in their coop for over a week. Both times I had to pick them up and put them back through the pop door for the night. They are all huddling in the corner of the run and bedding down for the night.

Are they too young still? (8-9 weeks old)

Is the "ramp board" to high up/steep/narrow? (I have "strip steps" on it now and a hinged door to shut at night, just need a newer pic)

2409159730_548cf47b9d_b.jpg

2408325561_b15b9e88c9.jpg

Last edited:
We went though the same thing late yesterday afternoon. It was getting cool here and we had to catch them and put them back in the coop where it was warm. Now it will be this weekend before we can do it again as we work 2nd shift. I hope this will give them time to get used to the coop being home.

Edited to add: Our ramp is up high like yours so I was wodering the same thing.

My chicks are 7,8, and 9 weeks old.

Last edited:
The ramp is a little bit too steep for them, and slippery, I believe. I would suggest either making it longer so the angle isn't so steep, or putting some strips of wood on there horizontally for footing. Most likely they'll try to fly up or down, and could get hurt.
Looks very nice, though... I can never get my chicken wire that tight!
tongue.png

It does look very tight! (the chicken wire) So nice and neat looking.

My husband was admiring the whole setup, too. I think if he knew it doubled as a pen for young children, he would have been even more impressed. But we need the under six-years model.

lau.gif

gig.gif

Cassandra

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

The ramp is a little bit too steep for them, and slippery, I believe. I would suggest either making it longer so the angle isn't so steep, or putting some strips of wood on there horizontally for footing. Most likely they'll try to fly up or down, and could get hurt.
Looks very nice, though... I can never get my chicken wire that tight!
tongue.png

Like I said,I have strips of wood on it now ,just need to take a newer pic.

This thread has the tool in it that I made to get the wire tighter. It worked great!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=43909

JSC's Hubby​

Last edited:
Quote:
Like I said,I have strips of wood on it now ,just need to take a newer pic.

This thread has the tool in it that I made to get the wire tighter. It worked great!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=43909

JSC's Hubby

Sorry about that... I missed that part!
smile.png

I'll have to check out that tool... I may need to go back and re-do some of our wiring.

I'm with Cassandra... we need one for the kids, too...
lol.png

Ok,every night this week,I have waited till 10 o'clock at night and have gone out to the run. They are always huddled up in a group on the ground and I have to put each one back in the coop and shut them up.

I think I am going to put a roosting board about 12 inches off the floor in the coop and see if they will like that better at their age(I have one about 40 inches off the floor now) Does anyone think that could help?

I also am thinking about making a "deck" for the ramp board to split the length in half. If they sit on the "deck" at night,maybe they will see the inside of the coop better and be influenced to go in.

Any ideas?
hmm.png

Thanks
JSC's Hubby (Terry)

JSC, I have just went through that with my chicks. Look for the thread Cold babies. I thought mine would go back in last night, at 11:00 PM they were piled up cold and hungry out in the run. Good Luck with your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom