Is it necessary to clip the feathers of my turkeys?

sunny022

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 11, 2015
We recently acquired 15 chicks and 6 turkeys. They are nearly old enough to be let out. I've never had issues with my chickens, but I'm new to having turkeys. Are the turkeys going to fly off to roost at night or return to the coop? Thanks.

What breed Turkeys do you have? I have a few different breeds myself and I have yet to have any take off and leave. I do have a fence and sometimes they jump over to pluck around but they always hop back over. I honestly don't think you will need to clip their wings, mine have never had their wings clipped. Turkeys usually can't fly far unless you get the wilder kinds, I have a couple or so Eastern Wilds and they do fly a little more but they never leave, as for the other ones they only fly enough to roost on top of things. It's good to allow them to roost somewhere up high to protect them from vermin, but as long as they are raised since youngins around the area I honestly doubt they will leave. I also raise Guinea Fowl, Geese, Ducks etc and I have never had any of them leave the area for good. Out of all of my birds the tamest ones are the Turkeys, mine are so tame you can hold them and pet them, so I wouldn't worry about it, good luck with your Turkeys! :D

The only problem that I have had with Turkey's running off and not coming back is when a hen goes to lay eggs. They will wander off to a private place to make a nest if they can.

When your hens lay eggs and go broody make sure and confine them or you could lose them. I have lost several hens in this manner
somad.gif

I have never had a Tom run off. They might be out in the field scratching 100 yards away from the house but they always come home to their roost and food trough.

All of my fowl are allowed to free range as they please and I have never clipped them.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. I'm surprised in the personality differences between turkeys and chickens. I look forward to an exciting adventure.

Just be sure to have plenty of brush , some sort of bushes, trees, or a place to hide and the females will lay there. Hold em as much as you can while they're young and they could be as tame as mine. Mine let me hold them, and I have a few different breeds even the eastern wild breed, but out of all of he breeds the tamest imo is the white midget.

My Bourbon tom used to jump my suburban fence at will; my neighbors told me he would visit every front door on the block each morning, and even would follow them around doing yardwork:he So I started clipping his wings, just the longer flight feathers, and now he's safely contained in my backyard.I only do it about every six months, his feathers dont grow too fast.

Turkeys can fly extremely well when they are young, when they get older and gain body mass, they are a lot less flighty. We clip their wings when they go on free range due to the issues we had with them flying off our property last year. The feathers will grow back and it doesnt hurt them.

This is what we do and these birds are about 7-8 weeks old in this video I believe.

If you do clip them, do it correctly or you will be making them permanently a disabled bird. I live on a large farm so I don't have any neighbors close by so I am in a different situation than some.

One reason I do not clip their wings is so that they have a better chance to evade and escape predators as they free range.

Young turkeys are able to fly quite well. As they get older and heavier not so much depending on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom