Is it normal? Drool/snot

Backyard Petting Zoo

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
So I am new to raising waterfowl. We currently have 5 ducklings, and two goslings. All eat and drink and swim and run around, overall from what I see are doing extremely well… when they drink (especially one goose and two ducks) they sling I feel like a large amount of water from their nose and mouth. It’s kind of snotty but mostly watery and they only do it right after drinking or swimming. I know they dip their heads to clean their nares but is it normal for that to be slung around? I will try and get a picture of it tomorrow to post. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Welcome to BYC!
That’s fairly normal. Now if you see discharge from the nares or mouth and slinging when they’re not fiddling with their water it could be a sign of an upper respiratory infection.

Also what feed and bedding are they on?

Welcome to BYC!
That’s fairly normal. Now if you see discharge from the nares or mouth and slinging when they’re not fiddling with their water it could be a sign of an upper respiratory infection.

Also what feed and bedding are they on?
Currently on pine shavings but thinking of trying something else because it gets so gross so quickly! And I’m feeding them the purina duck feed for all stages of life.

Back
Top Bottom