Is it normal for a chicken to lay eggs on the ground?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by candychick, Mar 17, 2013.

1. candychick

candychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    i have 4 chickens and they all are finally laying eggs...the last one to lay has been laying hers on the ground is this normal??? just wondering

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    If they just began laying, it's normal for them to lay eggs on the ground at first. One way you can get them to lay eggs in the nest box it by putting a golf ball, plastic easter egg, or something like that in the nest box.
    Good luck!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free-range birds construct nest on ground in what are usually protected locations. They will use elevated nest boxes when available, especially if available ground sites are exposed. When we keep larger numbers of birds in confined areas the nest boxes are best option available.

4. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    [​IMG] and yes it is normal i even had elevated nesting boxes but i had brought up the box that they were in as chicks to make the new coop feel like home... They decided that that was their nesting place but they did also use the ground

5. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep. I adopted a flock of 2yr old barred rocks. Doesn't matter what I provide, they lay where they want (they weren't taught or given egg boxes by the original owners). I actually have one little lady that lays in the SNOW!! [​IMG]

Squat and pop!...but it's gotta be COLD!!

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The abnormal place for a hen to lay is in an elevated nest box. In nature all hens (well almost all hens) will lay and sit on the ground. The eggs incubate and hatch better incontact with dirt than they do in a bone dry box of straw or wood shavings.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. candychick

candychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    [​IMG] yes she just started laying but she was the last one to lay so she should know to lay in the nesting box...thanks so much for your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by