Is it normal for a hen to moult during May?

Hensii

Chirping
Dec 29, 2021
Bahrain-Middle East
My 3yo hen is molting again it seems? She molted last December. But now all her (small feathers mostly) neck feathers are falling out. She's fine apart from that and it is very hot here if that has anything to do with it.

I can see feather base sticks on her neck which I think are the new feathers? Why is she molting again?

Can you post pictures? Hens can molt in May, yes, but this sounds more like feather picking to me based on your description. Seeing the feather bases that you're talking about will help to confirm that.
This is from a few days back. The clearest I got. Doubt its feather picking tho, the feathers just seem to fall. I wonder why it's mostly the small ones?
20220520_070945.jpg
20220520_070948.jpg

It's really hard to see the feather bases you're talking about from these pictures... Is that cage what she lives in? Do you have any other chickens in a group with her?

Okay, so she's most likely molting then! Feather picking of the neck is generally done by other birds in a group, as it would be hard or impossible for the bird, themself, to reach there.

That's interesting that she's blind, and how sweet that you give her such individual care and let her live out her life! ❤️

Okay, so she's most likely molting then! Feather picking of the neck is generally done by other birds in a group, as it would be hard or impossible for the bird, themself, to reach there.

That's interesting that she's blind, and how sweet that you give her such individual care and let her live out her life! ❤️
Thanks! Shes wonderful.
She already molted in Dec/January tho, can she moult again this soon? Do you also know why mostly only the small ones are following?

Yeah, that looks normal for molting! Those are, indeed, her new feathers coming in that you're seeing.

As for why she's molting again, it's hard to say. I have had hens molt very early in the year and then not molt in the fall. One likes to molt multiple times in the year, seemingly at random. My birds who go broody tend to molt immediately afterwards as well. Did she try to hatch eggs recently?

It could also have to do with the lighting she's under. Do you keep her under completely natural lighting? Sometimes electric lighting? The hormones that trigger molt are heavily influenced by the length of daylight that a bird is exposed to, so any additional lighting from the normal day length could trigger a molt. She could also have been triggered if she's in a darker area of your home without much lighting.

I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding her health as long as she's on a balanced feed with a good protein level. I'm not sure what's available in your country, but if she's been doing well and gone through molts already on the feed she's on, she should be fine!

Yeah, that looks normal for molting! Those are, indeed, her new feathers coming in that you're seeing.

As for why she's molting again, it's hard to say. I have had hens molt very early in the year and then not molt in the fall. One likes to molt multiple times in the year, seemingly at random. My birds who go broody tend to molt immediately afterwards as well. Did she try to hatch eggs recently?

It could also have to do with the lighting she's under. Do you keep her under completely natural lighting? Sometimes electric lighting? The hormones that trigger molt are heavily influenced by the length of daylight that a bird is exposed to, so any additional lighting from the normal day length could trigger a molt. She could also have been triggered if she's in a darker area of your home without much lighting.

I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding her health as long as she's on a balanced feed with a good protein level. I'm not sure what's available in your country, but if she's been doing well and gone through molts already on the feed she's on, she should be fine!
Electric lighting maybe for a hour but otherwise just the sun's light.
Good to know she's fine. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom