Is it normal for chicks to lay on their backs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewcomerChicken, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NewcomerChicken

NewcomerChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the cutest thing, and they look perfectly comfortable, and will even go to sleep like this (only when being held) but, I was just wondering, is this normal? Is it okay?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Chickens cannot breathe easily when on their backs and can aspirate stomach contents (vomit). I do put them on their backs to dust them with poultry dust (someone told me that they had a chicken vomit when they did that).

Holding baby chicks that way is probably ok for a cute cuddle here and there but I'd not try to hold them like that routinely.

Just to cover all bases- vit e deficiency:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/218/vitamin-e-deficiency

(I am assuming they were just being held and don't have a problem...just thought I'd include the link just in case you needed it.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, it's not a natural position at all. Probably okay for a little bit, but they'll probably start to resist it as they age.

4. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    LOL, that is cute. We made sure we turned our rooster onto his back as often as we could and never had a problem with him.

People have carried chickens by their feet for a long time and no one ever says it is bad. I wouldn't worry about it. Have fun with your chickens.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Not long ago, your chicks were inside their egg shells and were turned every which way for a month, so I doubt being upside down now is going to do them any harm.

You're on the right track handling them a lot. Chicks like yours who are cuddled and loved grow to be tame chickens that are delightfully easy to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by