1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it normal for Duckling to Keep it's Mouth Open?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Apr 1, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I was concerned that some thing might be wrong when my 3 week old duckling was sitting/laying nicely in her cage with her mouth part way open. [​IMG] I first thought maybe she was hot. She had just been outside for a little while, in the part shade & part sun with fresh cool drinking water & food. When I put her down in the house to play, in her cage & even before she was in her cage I noticed her mouth part way open. It wasn't like Real hot in the house at this time cuz the weather had started to cool down a little. ~Just before that I had seen one of the chickens doing the same thing. [​IMG] Thanks, ~Julie~

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Just like a dog- ducks will also pant to try to cool down. Other than that- it maybe a clogged nostril in some cases as well.

3. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you think the waterer is deep enough? It's the big red/white 1 gallon water holder. This was yesterday with mouth open, & today I haven't seen her doing that. Must have been panting. Thanks, ~Julie~

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    I noticed mine open theirs a few times after they get out of the pond and start preening.

5. Kerath

Kerath Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My guys did a lot of open mouth breathing when we had a rash of gapeworms last year. This was accompanied by a lot of neck stretching and coughing though. Also, 3 weeks seems a little young for worms to have taken hold.

6. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Do you keep them in the house with the heat lamp on still? I turn mine off in the house about 2 or 2 1/2 weeks, as it seems warm enough for them. I had one do that too, and stopped when I turned off the lamp. It was a Pekin duckling and it just seemed to get hot very easy.

7. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:I will keep an eye on them tomorrow when i clean their aviary out.

It looks like maybe they are just breathing, because it's only after they splash around and dive in the freshly refilled pond and are preening afterwards outside on the shore.

After they are done preening, it stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by