Is It Normal For Female Turkeys to Puff Up? (Just curious)

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
All three of my female turkeys puff up. We have no males. Is this normal?
This might be a stupid question, but I've only had turkeys since October.

This is Jill all puffed up. She isn't quite full grown, neither is her sister. Then we have a older turkey and she puffs up too.

Are they taking the part of the male?
Thanks!

Last edited:
well hello there, Zoe!! i have 2 females and they do the same thing as yours. i have no males. do they peck and spur at you? i do believe they are taking part of the male. i have asked this same question. others have said to get a male to put them in their place. do they do this all the time or is during a certain season?

well hello there, Zoe!! i have 2 females and they do the same thing as yours. i have no males. do they peck and spur at you? i do believe they are taking part of the male. i have asked this same question. others have said to get a male to put them in their place. do they do this all the time or is during a certain season?
They don't spur us, 2 of them peck but not aggressively. They peck our fingers because they're curious. They also fight with the roosters..
And they puff up all the time.

They don't spur us, 2 of them peck but not aggressively. They peck our fingers because they're curious. They also fight with the roosters..
And they puff up all the time.
Hmmm... i dont know what to tell ya.... mine peck real hard. they draw blood almost everytime. they jump at me alot also.

Warm howdy from Texas. Hens will demonstrate their status by "strutting" in order to establish themselves in a small group minus a Tom. Nothing REALLY to be worried about until, of course, you start coming up with fertile eggs. ;-)

My female Turkey has been doing this every time I go in their pen ...I dont know why just sucks cause then the tom comes over and him I do have to be cautious about

Mine display when they are annoyed by something.
20180220_151453.jpg

Back
Top Bottom