White female turkey becoming aggressive

Turkeymomma37

Hatching
Aug 16, 2023
I've had my turkey (Madam Ruben Sandwich, Ruby for short) for alittle over a year now. She is our only turkey. She lives with a disabled duck named Susie Q. next to them is 2 male ducks. Haven't had any issues till 2 days ago. Normally I got out back and sit with her, rub her tummy, pet her head, she's more of a dog than turkey. She actually attacked me 3 times. Biting me and charging me. I tried to stand my ground but I think I made it worse letting her know I'm the boss of her and she's in charge of the ducks and chickens. She's never done this before, I know she's female because we get eggs from only her. She use to peck me all the time but never to harm me. Now I can't even get in her sights or shes angry with me. Does anyone know if this could be the nasty Jersey heat along side with being the only turkey? I have made everything down to how the coop is set up for her needs over the ducks. She's my life companion and I can't imagine her ever doing this. She has been through alot with my father in law but he backed off months ago and mostly stays away from all the birds. I'm lost and just looking to keep her in good spirits. Should i consider a Tom or another female? She is gentle and warm to all our animals and my family, she just chose me to be angry with.

I've had my turkey (Madam Ruben Sandwich, Ruby for short) for alittle over a year now. She is our only turkey. She lives with a disabled duck named Susie Q. next to them is 2 male ducks. Haven't had any issues till 2 days ago. Normally I got out back and sit with her, rub her tummy, pet her head, she's more of a dog than turkey. She actually attacked me 3 times. Biting me and charging me. I tried to stand my ground but I think I made it worse letting her know I'm the boss of her and she's in charge of the ducks and chickens. She's never done this before, I know she's female because we get eggs from only her. She use to peck me all the time but never to harm me. Now I can't even get in her sights or shes angry with me. Does anyone know if this could be the nasty Jersey heat along side with being the only turkey? I have made everything down to how the coop is set up for her needs over the ducks. She's my life companion and I can't imagine her ever doing this. She has been through alot with my father in law but he backed off months ago and mostly stays away from all the birds. I'm lost and just looking to keep her in good spirits. Should i consider a Tom or another female? She is gentle and warm to all our animals and my family, she just chose me to be angry with.
Problem is that you have human imprinted this turkey. She does not know that there is a difference between her and people. She has decided she belongs higher in the pecking order than you.

Problem is that you have human imprinted this turkey. She does not know that there is a difference between her and people. She has decided she belongs higher in the pecking order than you.
This turkey isn't even mine, but it came here from the nearby farm. She wanted to get to me so badly she jumped and hit the window. I learned I can take a water hose after her next time, but 50/50 she might like it. I can't complain to the neighbors about it because our silkies, dogs, cats, whatever else go over to her farm, and she loves it. So I'm trying to like this and thwart her from breaking windows to get to me. Her farm is across the road and probably 2 football fields away, and this hen comes over probably at least once a day. So, imprinting apparently can be done to more than one person, and really to the point of being dangerous!

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 16
This turkey isn't even mine, but it came here from the nearby farm. She wanted to get to me so badly she jumped and hit the window. I learned I can take a water hose after her next time, but 50/50 she might like it. I can't complain to the neighbors about it because our silkies, dogs, cats, whatever else go over to her farm, and she loves it. So I'm trying to like this and thwart her from breaking windows to get to me. Her farm is across the road and probably 2 football fields away, and this hen comes over probably at least once a day. So, imprinting apparently can be done to more than one person, and really to the point of being dangerous!
Spraying with a hose may or may not work. some turkeys learn to like being sprayed especially when it is hot out.

When a turkey is human imprinted it loses the ability to understand that people are not turkeys. That doesn't mean one person, it means it thinks all people are turkeys too. Imprinted toms can be very dangerous.

Using the sweeping end of a broom to keep a turkey at bay does work. You push them away with the broom. Don't swing it at them, just use it to keep them at a distance from you.

Spraying with a hose may or may not work. some turkeys learn to like being sprayed especially when it is hot out.

When a turkey is human imprinted it loses the ability to understand that people are not turkeys. That doesn't mean one person, it means it thinks all people are turkeys too. Imprinted toms can be very dangerous.

Using the sweeping end of a broom to keep a turkey at bay does work. You push them away with the broom. Don't swing it at them, just use it to keep them at a distance from you.

She's been here several times since this happened last week, but at least I was outside, so she wasn't going to smash a window.

We have silkie chickens who all run and hide from her. She just follows me or my husband around. We don't have turkeys. We don't encourage her. Sometimes we can walk her home, and she'll stay. She has a tom who stays home, but guess she doesn't like him?

She's been here several times since this happened last week, but at least I was outside, so she wasn't going to smash a window.

We have silkie chickens who all run and hide from her. She just follows me or my husband around. We don't have turkeys. We don't encourage her. Sometimes we can walk her home, and she'll stay. She has a tom who stays home, but guess she doesn't like him?
You need to chase her home whenever she shows up. You need to be consistent about it. It is entirely possible she is attacking her reflection in your window.

Back
Top Bottom