Male or female turkey

Sep 3, 2020
Our Pipi is about 6-7 months old. She is the only turkey in our flock of chickens, bantams, & ducks. We've thought she was a female but lately she has been exhibiting male behaviors...strutting, weird noises, dancing. She does not have a beard or spurs or nubs. We've been trying to get a couple more, but if she is a male then we don't want to get another male just hens.

I've uploaded one picture but I was unable to upload a video of her doing her thing.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1000013799.jpg
    1000013799.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 129
Our Pipi is about 6-7 months old. She is the only turkey in our flock of chickens, bantams, & ducks. We've thought she was a female but lately she has been exhibiting male behaviors...strutting, weird noises, dancing. She does not have a beard or spurs or nubs. We've been trying to get a couple more, but if she is a male then we don't want to get another male just hens.
1000013799-jpg.3712652

I've uploaded one picture but I was unable to upload a video of her doing her thing.

Thank you.
That's a tom.

Thank you.
Are they all mean? Can they be trained to not be mean? This one has started chasing & being mean to our ducks. He's tried to intimidate our dogs & cats. I've been wondering if his displays around my nephews have also been aggressive. I like having him around but don't want the aggression.

Are they all mean? Can they be trained to not be mean? This one has started chasing & being mean to our ducks. He's tried to intimidate our dogs & cats. I've been wondering if his displays around my nephews have also been aggressive. I like having him around but don't want the aggression.
He hasn't been raised around turkeys. He thinks that everything is a member of his flock and he believes he should be at the top of the pecking order.

I would not trust him around small children or other small animals. When breeding season starts you are going to have a serious problem as he tries to breed anything he can get on.

Back
Top Bottom