Why does my Turkey strut at me?

Myah1011

Songster
Jun 26, 2023
I’m believe my Turkey named taco is a female because she doesn’t strut as much as her male counterpart dandelion, but whenever she does strut it’s always when I’m laying down or something, is it a sign of affection? Or dominance? She only ever struts when I’m near her, I honestly find it extremely funny and cute because she’s an awesomely cute Turkey but I am curious about what she’s trying to do.

I’m believe my Turkey named taco is a female because she doesn’t strut as much as her male counterpart dandelion, but whenever she does strut it’s always when I’m laying down or something, is it a sign of affection? Or dominance? She only ever struts when I’m near her, I honestly find it extremely funny and cute because she’s an awesomely cute Turkey but I am curious about what she’s trying to do.
Sounds like your turkey has been human imprinted and thinks you are part of the flock. It is a dominance thing and may seem cute right up until it goes to the next step which is to attack as it tries to move up in the pecking order.

Attachments

• 175AC8F9-8186-4CF5-B11A-1A3D6C03FA49.jpeg
    175AC8F9-8186-4CF5-B11A-1A3D6C03FA49.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 5EBA080D-023C-4681-A555-6947EBCA59D3.jpeg
    5EBA080D-023C-4681-A555-6947EBCA59D3.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1ACFAF1C-DE6C-4335-AA29-C79EDDFD96F7.jpeg
    1ACFAF1C-DE6C-4335-AA29-C79EDDFD96F7.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 16
How old is it?
I’ve never owned turkeys so I’m a bit unsure about her age but if I would have to guess she’s somewhere between 4-6 weeks old, from what I saw of turkey poults she kinda looks to be that age although it’s online pictures so I’m not sure.

Last edited:
Sounds like your turkey has been human imprinted and thinks you are part of the flock. It is a dominance thing and may seem cute right up until it goes to the next step which is to attack as it tries to move up in the pecking order.
Thank you for your reply and helping me better understand Taco, it’s both comedic and cute that she probably thinks I’m part of her flock, although I don’t look forward to her attacking me, hopefully it will come to pass but I don’t blame her for trying to move up in the pecking order.

I’ve never owned turkeys so I’m a bit unsure about her age but if I would have to guess she’s somewhere between 4-6 weeks old, from what I saw of turkey poults she kinda looks to be that age although it’s online pictures so I’m not sure.
Hard to tell sex at that age.. in any case r2elk is right . 2016 I got 4 eight week old. About the time they were 6 months the dominant started attacking me when my back was turned. I harvested that one and the next dominant started... and I ended up harvesting them all and started over the next year

My male turkey who is about a year old has begun following me every where. He has to be as close to me as he can get. He fans, struts, shakes his tail feathers at me, clicks and huffs. Haven't heard him drum yet. I do have 2 other males and a female, but he doesn't pay attention to them, just me, and has started to attack my boyfriend when he goes to do chores. Told him if he continues, I will name him crockpot...then he can meet the roaster

Back
Top Bottom