Is it normal for hens to get vocal with new chicks?

May 19, 2018
Lynden,Wa
Just picked up 2 Golden Comet chicks (4 weeks old, stills have some fuzz, mostly feathered, will give them heat at night). When the older hens saw them they got real vocal. Is that normal? They have quieted down some now, 2 walking around, one laying by the fenced off area where the chicks are. Here is Henny & Penny in their fenced area. They are scratching around, and chirping.
20180617_131447.jpg
20180617_131432.jpg
20180617_131330.jpg

I had this too.
Nothing to worry about at all.
My chickens went absolutely mad when they saw some chicks I'd bought, just like yours.
I guess it's their instinct. Maybe they think that they're new intruders. They'll get used to the sight of them.

I guess when chickens aren't broody, they almost 'forget' what baby hens look like and wonder 'what on earth are you?'. :)

I had this too.
Nothing to worry about at all.
My chickens went absolutely mad when they saw some chicks I'd bought, just like yours.
I guess it's their instinct. Maybe they think that they're new intruders. They'll get used to the sight of them.

I guess when chickens aren't broody, they almost 'forget' what baby hens look like and wonder 'what on earth are you?'. :)
That's good to know, was surprised at how vocal they got. Settling down now, one is acting like she is protecting them. Gets in between the other two and the fence. Chicks are too darn cute! Hubby said only 2. :D

Oh Yeah, they are yelling "Stranger Danger, Stranger Danger, Stranger Danger!!"
Then probably..."We want that food!"

That's a nice little setup up have there.
It was interesting yesterday. Chicks were on concrete so the dirt was a new experience. Was cute the older hens scratched ground about a foot from the chicks area and the chicks started imitating. One hen is blocking the other two from getting too close to the chicks fence. She did give the chicks a light peck when they stuck their heads out of the fence, like telling them that is a no no. Fixed it so they can't do that any more.
The wire fence with top that the chicks are in is one of those wire chicken runs ( has 2 sections, only used one section for the chicks, total length can be 80 inches x 40 inches has 3 doors and a roosting bar). Have the roosting bar about 2 inches off ground so they can learn how to roost. Bought it on Amazon for under $80 for a temporary run. Can be used for chickens, small dogs, rabbits, we'll any small pet. Can put them in the grass and have them still be safe. Hubby said he is going to put wheels on it

The first day I introduced my new babies to my older hens, I placed the babies in a wire crate outside of the hen's run but right near it so they could all see each other... Man, were the hens ever talkative that day lol... But the next day they were quiet and laid down in the run near where the crate was with the babies in it.

The first day I introduced my new babies to my older hens, I placed the babies in a wire crate outside of the hen's run but right near it so they could all see each other... Man, were the hens ever talkative that day lol... But the next day they were quiet and laid down in the run near where the crate was with the babies in it.
Sunday they were very vocal, settled down after a few hours. Yesterday morning the lead hen was vocal for about a half hour. They made dirt nests next to the chick pen. No vocals this morning, chicks were not out yet as I was making the fix. Lead hen laid next to me, gave her pets. Let the chicks out and they all went over to pen and laid next to it.

Had to laugh at the hens this morning. A couple neighbor's came over to see the chicks. The hens stood up and it sounded like they were growling at the neighbors. Took it as a good sign, that they were protecting the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom