Is it normal for just hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zoomia, May 3, 2009.

1. zoomia

zoomia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    to cry? He's loud and plaintive, and I'm wondering if it's normal to be crying like this!

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] oh yes, they will cry and cry til a friend hatches and then they both may start in ahahaaa. good luck!
    what kind of babies did you hatch?

3. castlecreekfarm

castlecreekfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Middle TN
    Is he by himself? If so, they do at times. Is he in a brooder yet? If he is you can give him a small stuffed animal to snuggle down with. Make sure he is warm enough. Heat under lamp should be 95 degrees.

4. zoomia

Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Oh thank you SO much for the quick replies. He just sounds so miserable! He JUST hatched about 20 minutes ago, and is still in the incubator (99.5 on the nose). He's the only one so far, and I fear the only one. This is my first go at chickens, and incubating eggs. I got barnevelders. [​IMG] Good idea to put in a little stuffed animal for him, though I should probably wait until he's in the brooder. It would make me nervous fire hazard wise to do it in the incubator ....

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Oh yes they can be loud after hatching. Its good though because it makes the other babies wanna come out and join his chirping party..LOL

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congrats... here's hoping you get many, many more.

7. zoomia

Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Oh thanks--yeah, I hope I get a couple more, but I was really expecting this to be a dud! This one is a day late. No signs of anything else pipping or rocking or anything ... On the other hand, as I said, I wasn't expecting this one either. So I'll take what I can get!

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    If one was late, there may be other slow pokes. I'd give it a couple days extra, at least. You don't have to leave that one in there the whole time though. You can take him out when he's fluffed out good. As long as there aren't any pipped when you open the 'bator, it should be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by