Is it normal for just hatched chicks

welcome-byc.gif
oh yes, they will cry and cry til a friend hatches and then they both may start in ahahaaa. good luck!
what kind of babies did you hatch?

Is he by himself? If so, they do at times. Is he in a brooder yet? If he is you can give him a small stuffed animal to snuggle down with. Make sure he is warm enough. Heat under lamp should be 95 degrees.

Oh thank you SO much for the quick replies. He just sounds so miserable! He JUST hatched about 20 minutes ago, and is still in the incubator (99.5 on the nose). He's the only one so far, and I fear the only one. This is my first go at chickens, and incubating eggs. I got barnevelders.
smile.png
Good idea to put in a little stuffed animal for him, though I should probably wait until he's in the brooder. It would make me nervous fire hazard wise to do it in the incubator ....

Oh thanks--yeah, I hope I get a couple more, but I was really expecting this to be a dud! This one is a day late. No signs of anything else pipping or rocking or anything ... On the other hand, as I said, I wasn't expecting this one either. So I'll take what I can get!

If one was late, there may be other slow pokes. I'd give it a couple days extra, at least. You don't have to leave that one in there the whole time though. You can take him out when he's fluffed out good. As long as there aren't any pipped when you open the 'bator, it should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom