Is it normal for older chicks to pick at the little ones?

chicks13

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2020
My older Barred Rock chick who is three weeks old and I just got 3 new silkies who are two days old and the Barred Rock pecks at them is that normal?

Yes, it is normal. Often the pecking stops when the older gets used to the younger. HOWEVER, this needs to be monitored closely as an older chick may injure/kill a younger chick; especially if blood is drawn.

It is never good to add new birds to an established flock. The older birds will treat the new ones like intruders and will not accept them. Start all your birds at the same time or separate them in different yards

Many of us have added new birds without issue, and to maintain egg production in a backyard setting it's essential to stagger out the ages of your flock. Planning ahead for integration, as well as having space and a set up with integration in mind, is how you do it succesfully.

Type of breed also makes a difference. I routinely have various age chicks in the same brooder/pen.

But, giving it some thought, my advice was poor. Safer to separate the unknown.

It is never good to add new birds to an established flock. The older birds will treat the new ones like intruders and will not accept them. Start all your birds at the same time or separate them in different yards
This has not been my experience. I integrate birds of all ages all the time. You just have to let them get used to each other without being able to beat each other up for awhile.

This has not been my experience. I integrate birds of all ages all the time. You just have to let them get used to each other without being able to beat each other up for awhile.
Is there any ways to have them not beat up each other?

Is there any ways to have them not beat up each other?
You want them to share the same space, so that they can see/hear/smell each other, but not be able to peck. I do this for at least a week, but often more. Then you let them be together while supervised for a bit of time each day, and step in and separate if they fight hard--mild squabbles are normal and need to happen to establish flock order, but it shouldn't be a blood bath or ganging up. Once they seem settled with each other, then you can put the new ones on the roosts during the night. Some people put the new ones in the separate space, and some out the established chickens in the separate space.

Back
Top Bottom