Is It Normal For Peas To Lay Now 9/02?

We are in Northeast Texas and we have an Indai Blue peahen that is still laying. The India Blue peacock just dropped his train. We are planning to set these last few eggs to check fertility. Who know wheather they are fertile or not? I do know that without incubating them, they won't hatch. All of our other peacocks dropped their trains about a month ago, and the peacocks in their pens have stopped laying.

Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas

So you are having sucess with this bunch Yoda? If you are, that is awesome! You have had such a rough year, I would love it if you have an uneventful hatch!

Hi Yoda,
the 2-year-old peacock for breeding, have to be 32 months old, as peacocks start to display their new train at 32 months old.
Only few 2-year-old peacocks that have some colourful eyes in plain green train, are able to mate with peahens, where there are no adult peacocks.

Only very few peahens laying eggs between July and November in USA

Most peahens lay eggs on April-May.

Very very rare for a early (May-hatched) 2-year-old well-fed healthy peacock to mate with peahens in autumntime.

Most peahens are not in breeding season from July to March.

Clinton.

Quote:

Quote:

Clinton as you DON'T RAISE PEAFOWL. Not sure where you are getting your information. Please stop posting all this wrong information.

All my 2 year old peahens lay ,even had year old peahens lay. Never had a 2 year old peacock ,not be fertile. Even ones with only one eye feather.

In one post you don't know what a spalding is........then in another post you talk about to get spalding you need birds to be imprinted to breed , which is not so. you put a java male with blue ,or spalding hens he will breed them.

Posting wrong infor will just confuse new breeders of peafowl, and could cause some to miss a year of breeding , if they beleive your post...like i said in over 20 years breedeing peafowl, NEVER HAD 2YEARS OLDS THAT DIDN'T BREED AND BE FERTILE.....now hear the greens need to be 3 sometime.

Last edited:
My pair of two year olds had an egg hatch, definately from them since they are the only two I had. The eggs were laid in June, my little one hatched on July 5th. The male had no eye feathers at all. Not one. Only one egg hatched, but thats better than none! He turned a year old in July and the little bugger was trying to breed with his mother last week. My hen isn't laying now...

Back
Top Bottom