Is It Normal For Peas To Lay Now 9/02?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Yoda, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    I have a young white male that grew his train in a little over a month ago. My breeders lost thier trains about a month ago. Two days ago I went to lock everyone up for the night and found 2 pea eggs in the corner. I placed them in my incubator just in case. Well tonight (9/04) I go in to lock up and there are 2 more eggs in the same corner. Is this normal for peahens to lay this late (in September) in the season? If they are fertile then the white one with the small train is the father correct?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
  3. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    I have had four eggs laid by one of my hens the past 8 days.
    Have not seen the male near her though.
    A breeder from my area i asked was this normal, and he said yes, he often had hens laying in october also.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I found 3 eggs in the past week. However the eggs I found prior to this were not fertile so I didn't bother to incubate the eggs from last week. Good luck hatching!

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I had peahens lay Oct even Nov. but the peacocks had dropped their train ,so none were fertile....my guess if its not been long ago the males had trains, then could be fertile. Peahens I know for a fact can be fertile up to 3 weeks after a peacock has been removed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Deerman what about the 2 year old white peacock I have who HAS a train, would he be fertile?

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Yes if he hasn't drop his train, most 2 yrs are.

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I had a peahen hatch her second batch of peachicks about two weeks ago - she hatched 4. She had already hatched 4 earlier this summer and eventually lost them all so she, and another peahen who had also lost her chicks, laid and sat a second batch and hatched them. Not sure if it makes a difference but my peafowl all roam free - which is also why they tend to lose babies - they take them in the woods and every few nights lose another one. Funny thing is I think she learned her lesson last time so this time she takes them into a pen or coop every night.

9. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Here is my white 2 year old male drying out his train. He is so proud of his train LOL

[​IMG]

This picture would look really really nice if the fencing was not in the picture[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Beautiful boy! I love the whites... to me they are beautiful and elegant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by