Is it normal for young hens to go broody?

thumper76

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
W. WA, land of the wet.
One of my young hens (end of August 2011 hatch) appears to be broody. I have never had a broody hen before but this is her behavior: She is in the nesting box constantly, feathers all poofed out. She is extremely verbal and aggressive if you reach into the box (I swear she is part velociraptor with the biting). I have removed her from the coop a couple of times trying to snap her out of it but she continues to walk around outside with her feathers poofed out and her wings partly stretched down her sides. As soon as she can get back into the coop she goes back into the nesting box, even with no eggs in it. I locked her out of the coop today and she clucked and paced the whole time in front of it until I finally let her back in after a couple hours. She is a gold laced wyandotte and we have no rooster so (1) is this broody behavior? (2) Is it common in such a young hen and (3) how do I snap her out of it?
TIA

Totally natural for the breed.
smile.png

If you want to stop her being broody, pop her in a wire cage and raise it off the floor. Keep her there for at least a week. Air circulating underneath will cool her down and remove the broodiness.

cheers
Erica

Back
Top Bottom