Is it normal if a chickens sleeps with its head under its legs?

incubatingisfun

Songster
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
I have a three month old silkie and today it was looking down today when i changed there water.I checked on them just a few minutes ago and it was sleeping with its head under its legs.They way it had its head its head down was like it was looking for somthing.It has a very large crest that goes by its eyes could it be because its view could possibly be blocked?out of my if chickens ive never had one do this.i picked the silkie up and it DID NOT make any noises like it was painful for it.Thanks.

IIF

I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are describing, but most of my younger birds sleep with their heads hanging down between their legs. Very few of them (or my adult birds for that matter) tuck their head under their wings.

All of my roosting birds sleep with heads tucked under wing for most night. Catching them otherwise means they are not soundly asleep. Chicks are the ones that have all the funkie sleeping positions.

thanks we think we found the problem,it has new feathers coming in and it has tons of those things that cover new feathers.maybe those are really itchy and he is rubbing his head on the ground to break them off? and he also is biting his feathers when he is under his legs.

Back
Top Bottom